Baked Potatoes with...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like them with baked beans(the ones you get in a tin, in Ireland or the UK. We all grew up on them here), butter, salt and some cheddar cheese. :)

Mel ---

I was just going to suggest topping your tater with baked beans. I do that. Also, after splitting in half and fluffing them up, I like to ladle on some chili and sprinkle with cheddar and then back into the oven until the cheese melts.

Last summer I discovered garlice scapes, and I think they are good mixed with sour cream.

How I eat a plain baked potato is simply with butter and S & P, then have a dollop of sour cream with or with out green onion/ chives when I eat the skin at the end.

Finally, this may seem blasphemas to some, I do not prefer chopped bacon on a baked potato.

I like them with baked beans(the ones you get in a tin, in Ireland or the UK. We all grew up on them here), butter, salt and some cheddar cheese. :)

batchelor brand baked beans are very popular with baked potatoes or even just with toast in ireland. the "sauce", if you will, isn't as thick or as sweet as american versions of baked beans.

Last edited:
thanks greg, i didn't know it was a common asian herb.

i wanted to plant regular chives in my herb bed, but the nursery only had garlic chives seedlings, so i planted those. it was a pleasant surprise.
I had assumed you were all "in the know" about garlic chives. I've never seen them in mainstream markets and it was only my curiosity investigating produce sold at Asian markets that led me to trying them, and really liking them!

I grow garlic chives over here, I am lucky that nearby is a patch of wild garlic that I snip and use. The Elizabethans planted fragrant herbs on their walkways so as you walked and bruised them the scent filled the air.
Wild garlic or wild garlic chives? I'm curious if the latter.

Perhaps you--and other members--will consider putting their location in their profile so that it shows up in their posts like mine at the left side of this post. If done it often aids people reading the forum in understanding the geographic relevance of posts.

I'd like to see a stainless steel nail potato cooker on the market. You know, like how a potato supposedly cooks up nicer with a nail stuck in the potato? I think I'll jot that down as another one of my invention product ideas. There's probably something like that on the market now.

They've had those for decades, except aluminum not steel, because aluminum is a better heat conductor.

IMO they're totally unnecessary unless you want the middle cooked before the skin has a nice chewy texture. Instead, I recommend just poking your potato with a fork a few times, to allow steam to exit the skin. IMO that's the best and only thing you need to do to get your potato baked. Beyond greasing/salting the skin--arguably a good thing to do but something I rarely do myself.

I usually just do butter,salt,pepper after fluffing the inside.

I have started to do the smashed potatoes lately and love those. The whole family does.

Bolas, your yard does look like Wimbledon compared to mine. :LOL: The whole thing is tidy and well kept, too. I mean yours, not mine.

I'd like to see a stainless steel nail potato cooker on the market. You know, like how a potato supposedly cooks up nicer with a nail stuck in the potato? I think I'll jot that down as another one of my invention product ideas. There's probably something like that on the market now.

I used to have one of these. I wonder what happened to it.

med_5523.jpg

i have a vertical rib rack (one which holds a rack of ribs vertically in a smoker so more ribs can fit on a shelf) that has a row of vertical spikes on the ends to hold potatoes.

i wonder how a smoked potato tastes? anyone ever try one?

i have a vertical rib rack (one which holds a rack of ribs vertically in a smoker so more ribs can fit on a shelf) that has a row of vertical spikes on the ends to hold potatoes.

i wonder how a smoked potato tastes? anyone ever try one?

When we were kids we used to wrap the potato in aluminum foil and toss it into the coals of a campfire to bake. They came out tasting like a potato that had been thrown into a campfire to cook., I think the smoked ones would be about the same. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Most people have never heard of garlic chives, what I first discovered as buchu or bu chu, several years ago in my local Korean supermarket, AKA Allium tuberosum. They exhibit the combination of the best flavors of both garlic and chives. I hope to be able to have a garden again soon, and didn't even know you could grow buchu although now that I think about it I can't think of any reason why not. Except that I'd probably over-graze my buchu and still have to buy it in the market.

OTOH I've always loved the concept of decorating your garden with edible herbs. You could mow it... or you could eat it! Or you could mow it if you grew too much to eat. Or I don't know maybe you could import Kobe beef and feed it to them. (This is a joke. I'm mixing Korean and Japanese, and Kobe beef don't eat buchu.)

Those who have never heard of garlic (also locally here known as "Chinese") chives need to move next to me. I like them OK, but they want to kill my regular chives, which I LOVE. So every spring I take hand-fulls and toss them into a vacant lot across the street. I keep hoping they'll decide to live there and leave my herb garden alone!

I make a sort of topping for baked potatoes of frozen broccoli flowerettes nuked with Lipton cream of chicken cup-o-soup. A little blue cheese crumbled on top. Fast & Easy.

I also usually have my own ranch-type dressing which is great on a potato.

Typical American stuff :

Butter & sour cream

Chili & cheddar

Broccoli & cheddar

Any kind of meat & cheese

Butter, Bacon, Cheese, ranch dressing, & onions

Sauteed ground beef, onion, & cheddar

Leftover meatloaf & ketchup

Butter & fresh herbs especially Rosemary or dried herb blends

Garlic butter & sour cream & parmesan

It is assumed I would salt & pepper all of these.

Typical American stuff :

Butter & sour cream

Chili & cheddar

Broccoli & cheddar

Any kind of meat & cheese

Butter, Bacon, Cheese, ranch dressing, & onions

Sauteed ground beef, onion, & cheddar

Leftover meatloaf & ketchup

Butter & fresh herbs especially Rosemary or dried herb blends

Garlic butter & sour cream & parmesan

It is assumed I would salt & pepper all of these.

You would?

I wouldn't salt the ones with bacon, cheese, or salad dressing.

You would?

I wouldn't salt the ones with bacon, cheese, or salad dressing.
I just realized I don't ever salt my baked potatoes, or pepper for that matter. I do salt french fries, boiled potatoes and potato patties, but never baked or mashed/smashed.:ermm:

Anyone familiar with the small deli chain, "Jasons Deli"?

Check out the size of their baked spuds!

loaded%20baked%20potato%202.JPG

l.jpg

DCP_0265.JPG

You could feed a family of 4 on these things!!

Those who have never heard of garlic (also locally here known as "Chinese") chives need to move next to me. I like them OK, but they want to kill my regular chives, which I LOVE. So every spring I take hand-fulls and toss them into a vacant lot across the street. I keep hoping they'll decide to live there and leave my herb garden alone!
Who wants to kill your garlic chives? I'd volunteer for the job by eating them. I'm pretty sure eating them kills them... ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom