Baked Potatoes with...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone familiar with the small deli chain, "Jasons Deli"?

Check out the size of their baked spuds!

loaded%20baked%20potato%202.JPG

l.jpg

DCP_0265.JPG

You could feed a family of 4 on these things!!

there's an interesting documentary on pbs called "the botany of desire" that discusses the dangers of monoculture farming and how the fast food industry is driving these practices just so they can make very long french fries from giant russet burbank potatoes.
it also discusses how the potato blight in ireland in the 1840's could actually happen here on a much larger scale because of monoculture, and how the natives of the andes have never experienced such a disaster because they grow so many kinds of potatoes that the biodiversity prevents such a thing. it also explains the history of the bt potato (aka my potato :cool: ) and how it could allow for the monoculture farming of spuds, but because of people's fears of gmo foods, the program to grow bt spuds died.

yes, i get very bored around 3am at work..

there's an interesting documentary on pbs called "the botany of desire" that discusses the dangers of monoculture farming and how the fast food industry is driving these practices just so they can make very long french fries from giant russet burbank potatoes.
it also discusses how the potato blight in ireland in the 1840's could actually happen here on a much larger scale because of monoculture, and how the natives of the andes have never experienced such a disaster because they grow so many kinds of potatoes that the biodiversity prevents such a thing. it also explains the history of the bt potato (aka my potato :cool: ) and how it could allow for the monoculture farming of spuds, but because of people's fears of gmo foods, the program to grow bt spuds died.
I'm concerned about monoculture too. I think we are all waiting for a "bitch slap" in the face when some organism invades our monoculturalistic agro industry and kills off a major crop...

You posted this on company time??? :ROFLMAO::ohmy::LOL:;):chef::)

Put that down, Tattrat; and step away from the "loaded" potato. :LOL:

ETA: And, noone gets hurt.

Last edited:

I know the Doc you are referring to, and I loved the segment they did on the history of the humble apple. Featured a few other segments on select plants, and those were pretty great too!

taxlady said:
You would?

I wouldn't salt the ones with bacon, cheese, or salad dressing.

Well, I guess your right. Honestly I don't use that much salt. My family usually complains about my lack of salt use. I should've said salt what is needed. Pepper, however, yes. Everything would be heavily peppered. Where most people are salt fanatics- not me really. I am a pepper fanatic.

i prefer purple potatoes for baking. Wash them rub them with salt and bake them in the oven. then i just open the potato and add a piece of fresh butter.

I love baked potato with hearing, but that's russian in me. As the matter of fact that is what I brought with me to work today for lunch.

A baked potato is a simple and wonderful food.

How can you go wrong?

It's all a matter of the mood your in.

Top them with anything you can think of and they will turn out good.

Personally a simple tater baked until it has a crispy skin with salt, pepper, and butter can't be beat.

I'm not a foil wrapped guy because I like the crispy aspect. I bake at 325 and turn it up to 425 for the last 20 minutes or so.

Toppings I like the most are Bacon, Cheese, Onions, Chilies, Sour Cream & Chives, and Brocolli. Mix and match as you like.

Twice Baked Tatters are spectacular but take a few moments of work and a few more dirty dishes. Again the possibilities are endless.

For me as long as the skins are crispy the topping is secondary.

I found this thread looking for a way to make crispy pan fried potato's.

I like the charred bits but I have a problem getting the doneness to the texture I want without getting too much charred (Burned) tater.

I know maybe lowering the heat and cooking longer may help but should I consider precooking the tater's first?

I like my tater's soft without the firmness that can happen.

Maybe a better way to state it is that I want a crispy outside with a mashed tater inside.

I found this thread looking for a way to make crispy pan fried potato's.

I like the charred bits but I have a problem getting the doneness to the texture I want without getting too much charred (Burned) tater.

I know maybe lowering the heat and cooking longer may help but should I consider precooking the tater's first?

I like my tater's soft without the firmness that can happen.

Maybe a better way to state it is that I want a crispy outside with a mashed tater inside.

I par cook my potatoes in the microwave and then panfry, medium heat on the pan and don't stir them, leave them alone, no peeking...just about when you are starved to death, then take a look under and flip them if they are browned enough.

No peeking? :eek:

Let's be realistic here.;)

I kinda figured I needed to cook them a bit before I tossed them into the frying pan to brown them up.

Thanks and I'll give them a bake before I fry them. :chef:

I know, you have to leave them alone...it's the hardest part of making crispy potatoes...

In addition to what Princess said, my Mama said you can't do perfect fried potatoes like she did, without a cast iron skillet, and bacon fat. My Mama didn't live long enough to know what a microwave was so she did them raw. I use PF's method.

Last edited:
Bacon fat is going to be a part of tonights dinner.

I'll do my best to leave them alone.

Can't I peek alittle?

I prefer Russet potatoes and I bake the in the oven until they are soft, and then remove them and allow them to cool to room temperature.

[Insert wrap in plastic and put in fridge for N days, as I did yesterday, still haven't used my once baked potato.]

Then I cut them in half and scoop as much of the insides out as possible, leaving only the shell. I mix the insides with cream, sour cream, butter, cheese, and any number of other ingredients. Bacon, beef, pork, chicken etc. are options. I whip the stuffing into some sort of uniformity and return the stuffing to the shells, and then often top them with more cheese and often paprika sprinkling.

In fact I think I'm nearing that tomorrow since I have the potato plus some left over pork and left over turkey...

The first time I was served a foil wrapped baked potato in a restaurant, I was so disappointed. Steamed potato. Rub them with oil, baked until soft with a crispy skin. The only way I want my baked potato. I will put my own tpping on it. Butter and salt. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom