Baking Acorn Squash Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamp

Senior Cook
Yeasterday I baked 1/2 acorn squash and 1/2 butternut squash in the oven but I was going out so I just turned the oven off. Thinking that it will be done when I come home.

It has been baking 30 minutes at 400F. I was out a couple off hour and when I came home the oven was cold and the squash was finish.

But the acorn squash tasted a bit sour. Can it be because I turned off the oven? Or may it be a "bad" acorn squash?

The butternut squash did taste okey

I don't know, however I bake my butternut and acorn squash a little differently:

I cut them in half, clean them, and place them face down into a baking dish with about 1/2" of water before putting them in the 350 degree oven for about an hour. The water steams the inside of the squash while the dry heat bakes the outside.

I don't know, however I bake my butternut and acorn squash a little differently:

I cut them in half, clean them, and place them face down into a baking dish with about 1/2" of water before putting them in the 350 degree oven for about an hour. The water steams the inside of the squash while the dry heat bakes the outside.

I can try that next time.
How long do you bake them?

I do it the same way Selkie does, but I find Acorn Squash halves are ready in about 40 minutes - especially if you plan to turn them over & melt some butter & seasonings in the cavity for a few minutes.

I tried what you said yeasterday and I think I prefer to bake it without water. I become so "mushy" with the water.
But I need it to be very soft because my body don't produce enough digestive enzymes so I am on SCD diet, and in the beginning the vegetable need to be overcooked/baked.

To day I made a new acorn squash without water and that was not sour. So maybe it was only a bad squash.

i cook acorn squash in my microwave. split and put cut side down. add just a splash of water. cover and cook twenty min. on high. sometimes just 15 min. check it at 15.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom