Baking Mashed Potatoes In The Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skyy38

Assistant Cook
I want to get a french fried effect with mashed potatoes so my question is this-

What is the best ratio of liquid to dry mix to use? I want to be able to form these up like biscuits,so......

What would be the best oven temp to get these nice and golden brown?

Should I use hot or lukewarm or cold liquid when I mix these up?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, skyy. I think pan-fried potato patties would probably work out better. Use warm liquid - the mixture will heat up faster. Make fairly dry mashed potatoes, form into patties the size you want, heat a couple of tbsp. oil in a skillet, and pan-fry I'd guess about 5-6 minutes per side till browned. I'm not sure you'd be able to brown them in the oven, unless you brushed them with oil and put them under the broiler. HTH.

Thanks for your input garlic. I think if the mix is dry enough and I spray them with Pam,they should have a good shot at browning.
Pan frying is not an option as my dad is a heart patient so,the oven it is!

I'm also thinking that pumping up the temperature from 400 to 425-450 degrees would help too.

I'm basically paraphrasing this from a recipe called "Un-Fried French Fries" from the cookbook "In The Kitchen With Rosie".(You know,the "Oprah" thing from the early '90's?) I'm also making "Un-Fried Fried Chicken" too.

I'm having to reinvent myself as a "heart-healthy" cook because of Dad and Rosies idea of using yogurt as part of a coating is just genius!

Thanks again garlic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom