Beautiful Morels!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
My wonderful neighbor just gave me a dozen of these, very fresh and plump! I haven't cooked morels for many years, last time I think I just fried them up in butter.

What should I do with these?

They're the real (nonpoisonous) deal! Morel hunting around here is a very popular hobby, and treasured patches are closely guarded secrets.

Mmmmmm, Wild morels! A mushroom lasagna, no tomato sauce, sounds good. A rich mushroom bisque comes to mind, too.

You lucky dawg! Heehee. Somebody on another forum had some gifted to him as well recently. It's making me want to order some.

I do a lovely sauce with morels, cognac and cream and serve to beef or venison. It is really lovely. I have also made pie with morels.

I had to ask because I seen people on food forum using false morels and that isnt the best idea.

I would fry some bacon, fry the morels in the bacon fat, scramble a couple of eggs in the flavored grease and make a giant sandwich on good bread or stuff the mixture into a pita.

Thanks for the ideas! I think I'll fry them up in butter. Lots of butter. Then I'll have morel-flavored butter too!

Funny I was just thinking about these the other day. When I was a kid the whole family would go to my great aunts house for a Mother’s Day dinner. All of my other aunts and uncles would hit the woods all morning to hunt for them for the meal. Great fun, food, and memory’s.

The farm had many acres of woods that butted up to a state park along the Mississippi. Unfortunately I don’t think anyone in the family has a farm or even hunts anymore as most of them have now pasted on. The state and location I live now isn’t known for those :(

First time I tried morels was great. I ordered them online from a reputable mushroom site. got a bag full of plump fresh morels. I made a pasta dish with morels, parsley, garlic, olive oil, white wine and parm cheese.

A few months later I ordered them again ( same vendor) to make the dish again. I read a note that came with the morels that said " please wash thoroughly, since picked from the wild, morels may contain dirt, sticks and worms". Being an avid gardner, Im used to that stuff so it didnt bother me. I emptied the paper bag, saw a little dirt, small twig or two and what seamed to be a maggot-like insect. ( Still not squeamish), so I soaked and rinsed the morels , and when I looked at the bottom of the bow I soaked them in, I saw an unusually large amount of the maggot - like insects. Now I was starting to lose my appetite. Since the morels have so many nooks and crannies for these things to hide in, I wasn't sure i could eliminate all of them. I soaked and washed them several more times, each time noticing a large amount of insects at the bottom of the bowl. At that point , I lost my appetite and threw them all away. I was disappointed, cause I loved the dish so much, and now every time I think of morels, thats the only thing that comes to mind. I haven't ordered or had them since. I wish I could get over it, but its just one of those things that are burned in my memory.

Thanks for the ideas! I think I'll fry them up in butter. Lots of butter. Then I'll have morel-flavored butter too!
We stopped by the "early" morel spot today. I sauted them in butter and deglazed the pan with some dry sherry. Delicious on the steak I grilled. We will keep checking the other spots. We dry them or saute them fresh in butter. Sometimes simple is best.

Back
Top Bottom