Best Mashed Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I haven't tried them, but Pommes Puree is supposed to be the greatest mashed potato dish ever created, at least according to every recipe I could find on the subject. However, the recipe calls for a stick and a half of butter for every pound of potatoes, and the laborious work of ricing, then stirring the butter into the riced potatoes a few tbs. at a time, until all is completely homogenised, then adding whole milk until they are almost soupy, and barely hold their shape.

Well, as I have cooked many kinds of potato dishes over my lifetime, I can give you an exceptionally rich and creamy mashed potato recipe that is fluffy,creamy smooth, and tastes great. I'll even let you use black pepper if you don't have white pepper around. So, here is my very own Gourmet Mashed Potatoes Recipe. It's still a bit of work, but really worth it when you want to impress someone, or just give them something special.

Ingredients:
3 lbs. Yukon Gold Potatoes
3 sticks salted, high quality butter
1/2 cup Whole Milk
1/2 cup Creme Fresh
1 tbs. White, or black Pepper
1 tsp. Salt
Note: If you want to change the rich potato flavor, you can add chicken, beef, or mushroom soup base, such as Better Than Bouillon. But I wouldn't. These taste great as is.

First, skinned, boiled potatoes absorb a lot of water as they are cooking, which dilutes the flavor. Leaving the skin on helps, but can be a challenge to remove from the hot potato. I have found that baking potatoes gives a richer, more pronounced potato flavor. And, since no water is absorbed in the cooking process, they are better able to absorb the dairy, and release their starches to emulsify the butter (keeps it from seperating out).

Preheat your oven to 375' F. Place the potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.

Heat milk, creme fresh, salt, and pepper in a suitable saucepot over low heat to a simmer. Let cook uncovered for 15 minutes to thicken the milk. Add the butter. stir until the butter is all melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and cover.

Test the potatoes at 40 minutes. If they are soft all the way through, remove them from the oven and turn it off. Let cool enough so that you can hold them with a pot holder and hollow out the skins into a container.

Put the potato flesh through a ricer. Slowly beat the dairy mixture into the potatoes, malong sure it is completely incorporated. taste a bit of the potato for both texture, and flavor. If they are too dry, add more hot milk. If they need more seasoning add more salt, or pepper. For presentation, fill the empty potato skins, place a pat of butter on top, and sprinkle lightly with sweet paprika. Place on large plate or platter with the potato flesh-side facing up. Enjoy.:chef:

Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
For the mashed potatoes "I" would leave out the salt and mix 1 tsp corn starch, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp cream of tartar and use a teaspoon or perhaps more added to the potatoes. It will add the sodium and increase the volume so they stand in peaks.

Heavy cream is great in them and the white pepper (in modest amounts) works well too.

For the mashed potatoes "I" would leave out the salt and mix 1 tsp corn starch, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp cream of tartar and use a teaspoon or perhaps more added to the potatoes. It will add the sodium and increase the volume so they stand in peaks.

Heavy cream is great in them and the white pepper (in modest amounts) works well too.

Can you explain why? Your first paragraph.

@RCJoe
Can you explain why you use those things in your mashed potato's.
I'm certain there is some reasoning behind those additions?

Back
Top Bottom