Brine A Potatoe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickell

Senior Cook
My Sister Said She Saw A Cooking Show Where They Brined The Potatoes Before Baking Them. Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

jennyema said:
Can't imagine why you'd do that ....
SHE SAID THE CHEF SAID IT WOULD MAKE THE SKIN CRISPER AND IN DOING
THAT IT WOULD SEAL THE FLAVORS IN THE POTATOE. I WOULD JUST THINK
IT WOULD BLOW UP IN THE OVEN.

I don't think much flavor leaks out of a potato during baking. Don't think it would blow up because of brining.

Not sure that a potato soaked in water would have cripser skin ... but who knows?

jennyema said:
I don't think much flavor leaks out of a potato during baking. Don't think it would blow up because of brining.

Not sure that a potato soaked in water would have cripser skin ... but who knows?

REASON BLOWING UP HE STATED NOT TO POAK IT, NOT SURE ABOUT
ALL OF THIS EITHER BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS INTERESTING. WISH I
SAW THE SHOW. IT WAS THE NEW GUY I THING "BIG GUY" OR
BIG BITE OR SOMETHING. THE CHEF THAT WON THE NEW SERIES

Traditional British roast potatoes should cut into reasonable sized pieces, eg halved or quartered and then par-boiled, but still very firm. The water is poured away and the lid put on the pan and the potatoes are given a vigorous shaking to roughen the outside of the potato pieces. They are then put into hot oil or goosefat or whatever oily ingredient you like to use and roasted in the usual manner. This makes for a crispy, crunchy outside and a meltingly soft inside to the roasties.

Ishbel, you're always posting good sounding recipes. This however sounds even more wonderful. I'm going to have to try it soon!

It's the traditional way to roast potatoes when you are doing a roast leg of lamb or a roast of beef or pork or chicken in the winter. My mum made them that way, so did her mum and I even remember eating sunday 'roasts' at my Gt Granny's house, cooked exactly that way.:)

I never brine or bake potatoes. I simply wash them, cover them with oil and toss in the microwave for 5 to 7 minutes. The oil is absorbed through the potato and it makes it so moist and delicious, ready for sour cream, cheese, chives, bacon and everything and anything you can think of!

Instead of parboiling as Ishbel does, we take the cut potatoes that have been tossed in oil and herbs and bake for 30 to 45 minutes with the pan covered with foil. It steams the taters.

Then we take the foil off and let the outside become crunchy and tasty.

Just another approach and the potatoes come out very well.

Back
Top Bottom