Brussels sprouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't think of a vegetable I don't eat. I am not particularly found of summer turnips, but I will eat them. Fruit, on the other hand, I don't eat bananas or pears. Not because of the taste, but because of the texture and smell.

I like Brussels sprouts sautéed in bacon grease lol

Keep the bacon or pancetta in the mix, along with some onion, garlic and balsamic, then I'm right there with you!;)

Taste does change with age, but there are some things everyone just can't stand. When it comes to foods I like but Karen doesn't, I'll make them when she goes out of town to visit. When it comes to the SIL, I make them anyway!:ROFLMAO:

Craig

If I had read the same in a letter or had it said to me face to face, It would have the same effect. In all forms of communication, the speaker has the obligation to communicate effectively. This includes hidden/alternate meanings to common phrases.
I wish everyone thought that way, Andy. I find myself removing and replacing entire sentences sometimes, due to their having more than one meaning, usually specified with inflection, that can't be defined in print only. When I read a post that the OP obviously didn't take the time to either spell check or proof read, and it has ambiguous statements throughout it, it's irritating to me. Just a few seconds with spellcheck turns misunderstanding into clear and precise communication.

Words are tools. Sure, you can beat a nail in with a screwdriver, but using the hammer will get the job done much better.

I cook my B sprouts just the opposite. I saute them and then I add a little broth and steam them. I'll have to try them with butter next time instead of EVOO.

My first reaction was to be insulted by this post. I have reread it several times and I "think" the OP was trying to say (and imo conveyed it in a very bad way).....Don't hate the vegetable itself until you have played with it yourself. (i.e cooking it different ways, tasting it in different forms.) maybe they were trying to say .. because your mom couldn't cook worth a doodoo :ohmy: then again maybe they just love brussel sprouts so much they want everyone to share the love. :ermm:

My first reaction was to be insulted by this post. I have reread it several times and I "think" the OP was trying to say (and imo conveyed it in a very bad way).....Don't hate the vegetable itself until you have played with it yourself.

I think that many of us often post something on the Internet not quite what we intended, including often unintended double entendre.

Think about it. :)

I think that many of us often post something on the Internet not quite what we intended, including often unintended double entendre.

Think about it. :)

Thinking too much makes my brain hurt :huh: I "think" I have done enough "thinking" for today :)

It's dinner time here on the left coast and I'm just working on my first glass of Chardonnay. :) Dinner is almost ready to program the microwave. ;)

I think the OP didn't quite intend to be controversial in suggesting that vegetable dislike is caused by improper upbringing. I think that quite often parents can over-encourage eating vegetables, or under-encourage the same thing. This is the area of unintended consequences. Sometimes you can over-do it, sometimes the opposite. I hope most parents will encourage an attitude of being open to new choices. That's what I got from my parents. Explore.

My own parents encouraged me to eat vegetables, made me eat what was on my plate, but weren't Nazis about it. I didn't hate vegetables but I didn't start liking them until my 30s. Now I crave them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which bring up an idea. I wonder how many cases of food hating grew out of the server or food authority's inept cooking. If you were only served the horrible version, you might never try it any other way.

Which bring up an idea. I wonder how many cases of food hating grew out of the server or food authority's inept cooking. If you were only served the horrible version, you might never try it any other way.

I hated liver because of the way my mum cooked it. She was a good cook, but it must have been a Danish thing to really overcook liver. I found a recipe in my 1960s Danish cookbook that said to sear the meat at high heat on both sides, then to add stock and simmer it for an hour. :eek: No wonder I hated it.

I had a rib steak in a deli. It came with a wienie and liver appetizer. :ermm: So, there it was, on my plate, right in front of me. I figured I would try a bite. OMG, it was cooked rare! That was how I had ordered my steak. It was so good I couldn't believe it was the same stuff that my mum had cooked. :pig:

Yeah, liver overcooked isn't good. There's a mouth dissolving taste in there that if overcooked disappears. If you don't get that melting taste then I can understand why a person wouldn't like it. What's to like about tough? Particularly if you're not happy about eating organ meats in the first place.

Brussels Sprouts in my Mother's house were steamed until tender, served with butter, salt and pepper. No problem with how they were cooked. Of my parents 4 children, one of them doesn't like them, me. And you can't get the other three to even consider eating liver. One of us will have nothing to do with eggs, my sister. We were all 4 raised by the same people, ate the same food...we all have food preferences that do not include the other siblings or parents.

Seems to me that likes and dislikes are a PERSONAL thing...has nothing to do with how you were brought up or how foods were cooked.

Yeah, liver overcooked isn't good. There's a mouth dissolving taste in there that if overcooked disappears. If you don't get that melting taste then I can understand why a person wouldn't like it. What's to like about tough? Particularly if you're not happy about eating organ meats in the first place.

Tough was never the issue. No issue with organ meat either. As a kid I loved heart and was happy chewing on a piece for a prolonged period of time. My issue was the "liver" taste and smell, as well as the dry, sort of powdery texture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom