Buttered radishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I'm reposting this because if you have any sweet radishes growing, dig them up wash, slice, dip in a little salt and put on a piece of cold butter.Pop this in your mouth and enjoy. emmmmm:)
kadesma

Raw radishes served with sweet butter & coarse, kosher, or sea salt is a classic French bistro dish. In fact, I LOVED it years ago when it was impossible not to find an American restaurant that didn't put a complimentary "relish tray" (olives, celery, carrot sticks, & radishes) on every table. Everyone thought I was weird to be putting salt & butter on radishes, but I didn't care - the crisp spicy radishes, creamy softened butter, & dash of salt was a perfect combination.

While pretty much any radish will do, I particularly like the bi-colored "French Breakfast" variety for this treatment.

I've never eaten cooked radishes, but I love them raw - with bread and butter or just in a sandwich or a salad, or by themselves. I went thru a time when my daughter was a tiny baby that all I would eat was bread and butter and radishes. Dh thought I had flipped my lid, but I believe now it was due to a light case of post partem depression. I lost all of my baby weight and then some. The doctor told me to start eating well rounded meals and I soon got over it.

Raw radishes served with sweet butter & coarse, kosher, or sea salt is a classic French bistro dish. In fact, I LOVED it years ago when it was impossible not to find an American restaurant that didn't put a complimentary "relish tray" (olives, celery, carrot sticks, & radishes) on every table. Everyone thought I was weird to be putting salt & butter on radishes, but I didn't care - the crisp spicy radishes, creamy softened butter, & dash of salt was a perfect combination.

While pretty much any radish will do, I particularly like the bi-colored "French Breakfast" variety for this treatment.

That makes two of us Breezy, I love them and when I get some other than grocery store radishes, So my s-i-l and I both planted sone, I put in the Easter radish pink and white colored and he put in another type and the name escpes me but there both wonerful. I can't let them sit for very long. My grand mother was from France and she use to grow them and that's where I learned to enjoy them.I've gotten the You aren't going to eat that are you, there just for decoration. I, just pop them in my mouth and crunch away . Nothing better.
kades

Last edited:
I've never eaten cooked radishes, but I love them raw - with bread and butter or just in a sandwich or a salad, or by themselves. I went thru a time when my daughter was a tiny baby that all I would eat was bread and butter and radishes. Dh thought I had flipped my lid, but I believe now it was due to a light case of post partem depression. I lost all of my baby weight and then some. The doctor told me to start eating well rounded meals and I soon got over it.
Hi licia, I've never eaten cooked radishes either, but I bet they would be good.I love making sandwiches with then, I usually don't put them in salad my gang will sit there and pick them out and that dirves me nuts.When we crave something I believe there is a reason for it, It looks like you diet of radishes made things better for you and that's what counts.And many of us have a bout of post partem depression, if got better after then that is wonderful.Thanks for sharing that with us, It gives a chance to shre things we have had happen.
kades

If you've never sauteed them in butter, and S&P, you must try... It's a real treat, just don't cook them to death...

If you've never sauteed them in butter, and S&P, you must try... It's a real treat, just don't cook them to death...
I've heard they are delicious like this. I promise I won't kill them with kindness. My task will be to get them to a saute pan:LOL:
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom