Butternut squash question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akatia82

Assistant Cook
I have a question about butternut squash. Sometimes after boiling and mashing it, it comes out thick and pasty:mad: , and other times it's light and juicy:) although I cook and prepare it the same way every time. This is a hit or miss thing and I prefer the airy and juicy outcome! Does anyone know why it comes out both ways? And what can I do so it doesnt come out pasty??:chef:

akatia82 said:
I have a question about butternut squash. Sometimes after boiling and mashing it, it comes out thick and pasty:mad: , and other times it's light and juicy:) although I cook and prepare it the same way every time. This is a hit or miss thing and I prefer the airy and juicy outcome! Does anyone know why it comes out both ways? And what can I do so it doesnt come out pasty??:chef:

I either nuke it, broil it, or bake it. Boiling in water may have something to do with the consistancy.

Well 9 times out of 10 its airy and juicy. Someone once told me it had to do with the ripeness. The jury is still out on that one since I grow it and the same batch can give different results. Thanks for the reply though!:)

It is probably due to the moisture content of the squash. If a squash has been around for a while, it can lose some moisture, resulting in a dryer end product.

I tend to bake butternut squash whole then mash it with butter. Sometimes I also add roasted garlic and/or brown sugar.

akatia82 said:
Well 9 times out of 10 its airy and juicy. Someone once told me it had to do with the ripeness. The jury is still out on that one since I grow it and the same batch can give different results. Thanks for the reply though!:)

You're welcome akatia82, & welcome to DC.

Since you grow your own (lucky you), I can see where ripeness would have a factor in the end cooking result. Be sure the squash is ripe prior to any cooking method. If you'd like recipes, I have plenty, as I adore sqaush.:chef:

Thanks for the post. I have also cooked it other ways. I just prefer this way. It may have something to do with the water content. I have grown squash for 48 years and have cooked it from harvest season to 3 months later with the same results. Like I said, more times it comes out airy and juicy than not. Just curious as to the cause and if I can do anything different or watch for anything to do with the fresh squash before boiling it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom