By contrast, what veggie have you grown to like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Phil... never have steamed them... but it sounds like it would be great!

auntdot... my dog Binks (see avatar) he is a veggie dog... he would eat them. I can not chop up any veggies without him racing out to the kitchen to beg for some scraps. He likes raw cabbage, broccoli, tomato, potato, corn, squash, I really have not found anything he wont eat. My guess is he would eat the brussel sprouts.

I like brussel sprouts, drowned in butter and cumin... they are tough to eat at times!

Beetroot was my no go vegetable. As a child, I used to stay over for dinner with a macrobiotic family every Tuesday. Which was beetroot day... cooked, in the skin, whole on the plate with no salt or whatsoever. I have never been a fussy eater, but the beetroot made me gag.
This summer I tried a bit my great-aunt made, first cooked, then sliced, then sautéed in butter with a little onion. And salt.
I really liked it, I feel like I'm cured!

gb, you must have a big hat...:rolleyes:

it makes me crazy, ever since i've started growing asparagus crowns (the root system, or rhizome) for people to use the "snap" method of cooking aspari-grass. you are wasting so much of the useable plant. i guess because i've busted my butt digging deeply into my limited garden, ensuring good drainage for them next to plants requiring better watering, that i do not want to waste a fraction of the edible shoots, what we commonly know as asparagus spears or stems. forget snapping them, unless a minute extra of your time is that freakin necessary, as in a busy professional kitchen.
now, yes, the ends of commercially produced asparagus are more woody, but if you grow your own, or have a good supplier or greengrocer, all you have to do is slice a bit of the slightly dehydrated end off, and when ready to employ, just peel the green skin off the lower part of the stem. underneath is a quite tasty and tender white-ish/greenish part that shouldn't be discarded for lack of effort.

btw, did you know that white asparagus is just simply regular asparagus that has been deprived of sunlight so as not to allow the production of chlorophyll?
if you want to harvest white asparagus, just build a box and place it over the soil where the crowns are planted. the asparagus, even without sunlight, is so prolific that a healthy crown will still send up shoots, however they will break the soil and grow pale white. it's best tocheck on and harvest them after dark as any sunlight will affect the color.

Suus said:
Beetroot was my no go vegetable. As a child, I used to stay over for dinner with a macrobiotic family every Tuesday. Which was beetroot day... cooked, in the skin, whole on the plate with no salt or whatsoever. I have never been a fussy eater, but the beetroot made me gag.
This summer I tried a bit my great-aunt made, first cooked, then sliced, then sautéed in butter with a little onion. And salt.
I really liked it, I feel like I'm cured!
I'm with beets too, the only way I ever recall my mom making them was pickling up a huge batch about once a year and the smell was just awful (though I'm sure that they did actually taste good) so I was really put off by them. In the last few years I've played around with beets (roasted, raw in salads, etc) and found they are really quite nice.

Brussel sprouts, peas, asparagus. Now I usually like all veggies. Eat more fresh veggies now then when I was a kid. then we always had canned veggies.(yukkkk)

You need a steamer or...

sattie said:
Phil... never have steamed them... but it sounds like it would be great!

auntdot... my dog Binks (see avatar) he is a veggie dog... he would eat them. I can not chop up any veggies without him racing out to the kitchen to beg for some scraps. He likes raw cabbage, broccoli, tomato, potato, corn, squash, I really have not found anything he wont eat. My guess is he would eat the brussel sprouts.

I like brussel sprouts, drowned in butter and cumin... they are tough to eat at times!
..use the microwave. Although I think the the insert in the pot with water is best. When you boil veggies, a lot of flavor is lost when you pour the water down the drain. Veggies burst with hidden flavor when you steam them. I wouldn't touch cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, twenty years ago. You'll be pleasantly amazed at how vegetables tase when you steam. Re: brussel sprouts being tough. I read somewhere that you cut an X in the bottom of them before cooking, and it makes them tender. Your poocher is quite simular to my Cairn Terrier, Dixie Lee. She will eat anything. Does flips for strawberries, bananas, pecans, and peppermint. The dog loves to eat.

Phil

Thanks for the tips. I hate to boil veggies, so steaming is on my list of "treatments" for veggies. Not sure about the sprouts either, I don't think I have ever cooked them fresh. So I will have to keep it in mind when I do by fresh sprouts.

Yea, sounds like our dogs would love to be vegitarians.... more like whatever you feed me tarians! :ROFLMAO:

Cabbage! Hated them. We rarely eat them at home, but eat them almost daily at school, the cooks boiled the lives off them, then put a wee bit of salt to taste and a drop of cooking oil.I only eat because I had no choice. Now I love them as I prepare them in garlic and tomatoes. Even my DH prefers my version when we have an irish dinner of boiled ham, cabbage and mashed potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom