Cabbage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FraidKnot said:
I normally cut cabbage in wedges and steam it, 20 minutes or so. Then simply serve it with salt, pepper and butter. It also grills nicely; it sort of carmelizes on the grill. You know it's done when you can easily poke it with a fork and it's tender.

Fraidy
Never thought of grilling it--thanks for the tip !!

I guess I`m the odd one out here, I boil mine after coarse shredding in salted water with a touch of bicarb and grated nutmeg.
then I drain all the water off in a seive, return to the pot with a knob of butter and toss that until evenly coated/melted whilst still on the heat.
back into the sieve for a last drain then onto the plate.

but again, it really all depends what you want to do with it :)

You may think that cabbage cooked for a couple of hours would be awful BUT until you try this Molly Stevens recipe for braised cabbage, you have not had the ultimate treat!! Her book All About Braising is the bible for long slow cooking also.
Try this incredible dish. Scroll down to second or third recipe
Molly Stevens Cooks : Recipes & Tips

chilichip said:
speaking of cabbage, do you have a recipe for sweet and sour cabbage?

HOT SLAW (sweet and sour cabbage)
1 small head of cabbage (chopped, sliced or diced)
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup water
salt & pepper
Cook or saute to your desired doneness.
Drain well.
1/4 cup of sugar (here again, to your desired sweetness)
1 Tablespoons flour
2 eggs beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup vinegar
Mix well and pour over cabbage
Bake 350 degrees F 30 minutes or:
You could probably finish this in the skillet on top of your stove.
Just enough to cook the eggs and heat it through.

The winner is this one below.

CABBAGE FOR A KING
6 Cups chopped cabbage
Cooked in salted boiling water or ( I saute mine)
Drain
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 tablespoons butter (divided)
3 tablespoons flour
1 can 14 1/2oz diced tomatoes (undrained)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 slices bread cubed
1/4 pound cheese of choice cubed or
Saute onion in 3 tablespoons butter until transparent
Blend in flour until smooth.
Add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, salt, sugar and pepper.
Set aside.
Saute bread in 1 Tablespoon butter until lightly browned.
In a buttered casserole dish arrange in layer, half cabbage,
half tomato mixture, half croutons and cubed cheese.
End with cabbage, tomato, crouton and cheese.
Bake 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Serves 6
This recipe is a winner.

Candocook said:
You may think that cabbage cooked for a couple of hours would be awful BUT until you try this Molly Stevens recipe for braised cabbage, you have not had the ultimate treat!! Her book All About Braising is the bible for long slow cooking also.
Try this incredible dish. Scroll down to second or third recipe
Molly Stevens Cooks : Recipes & Tips
Those recipes sound so good, gotta try them someday - Thanks

bevkile

Cabbage For A King is so true! It is just delicious. I really didn't have much faith when I was preparing it because didn't think I would like tomatoes and cabbage, but is it good! Hope they all like it tonight. Cabbage is supposed to be so good for person anyway, no matter how you eat it. My dogs were eating it when some of it dropped on the floor as i was shredding. They aren't stupid! They eat most of the vegetables I fix anyway. Last nite they were eating the string beans as I was cleaning them. They do make me feel good when they approve of what I am doing!!!

thank you for sharing your recipes. Have to try the other one next time.

In The Kitchen...

My dogs were eating it when some of it dropped on the floor as i was shredding. They aren't stupid! They eat most of the vegetables I fix anyway. Last nite they were eating the string beans as I was cleaning them. They do make me feel good when they approve of what I am doing!!!

Funny!
Not to change the subject but many years ago when I was a young lad (back when Moby Dick was a minnow) I saw a starving dog turn up his nose at fried O'possum...Like you said....They aren't stupid!!

I steam cabbage in wedges..with salt & pepper...bacon drippings add a special touch!!! However I don't do the bacon dripping thing but just every now and then..Am watching fat intake! I love to pour pepper sauce on it! The hotter the better!

love cabbage...think it gets a bad rap...yet we use it all the time in slaw or boiled dinners with ham or corned beef or sausage. It sautees so well (several good recipes here, thanks) and braising it is awesome...think stuffed cabbage, YES!

a fave of mine is sauteed with panceta chili flakes and olive oil with a splash of white wine, served over pasta in brodo. (usually chicken broth) really good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom