Cabbage & Weenies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
CABBAGE & WEENIES

A dish from my childhood. On Saturdays when things were really busy this was a quick, easy and inexpensive lunch. Not sure of it’s origins in my family. Just something we ate at times.

Cabbage
Wieners
Salt
Pepper

Steam as much cabbage you want. Toward the end of cooking the cabbage add as many wieners as you like. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with mustard, (to dip the weenies in) hot corn bread, and iced tea!

Note: Dip a piece of weenie in the mustard, followed by a bite of corn bread...close your eyes, and you are at the State Fair eating a Corndog!;)

Sounds like a real science you've got it down to. :rolleyes:I love cabbage and I love weenies. :pig:your dish looks so festive and delish! Thanks for sharing.

My mom and dad use to have this often..My dad prefered the hot dog to corned beef...
Thanks for the reminder.
kadesma;)

When my kids were little and our finances were stretched, I often made sauerkrat and weiners, but the kids never went for the kraut.

There is a polish dish called Bigos, it is a little bit more involved, but I also make something simular, I add a little bit of either ketchup or tomatao sauce toward the end. Also I like to mix kraut and fresh cabage. Polish sausage goes really well with it.

I remember wieners and kraut night! Luckily that was limited to only about once every two weeks - usually during the fall/winter months. Unfortunately, we were not so lucky at school! :mad:

But - it is one of those "foods from my childhood" that I make once or twice a year ... although I tend to use kielbasa instead of wieners these days.

Last edited:
Memo: Wieners and kraut IS NOT a meal to make in your dorm room at college.
It turns out that most people think it is stinky.
I rather like the aroma.

But ribs and kraut, with potatoes and insta-dumplings, is much better!

Memo: Wieners and kraut IS NOT a meal to make in your dorm room at college.
It turns out that most people think it is stinky.
I rather like the aroma.

But ribs and kraut, with potatoes and insta-dumplings, is much better!

If your dorm was like mine - you couldn't open a jar of peanut-butter without drawing a crowd! :mad:

I wish I could ask my mother where she got the idea/inspiration to do this...I don't recall it being something that she got from her mother...I've researched it a bit, and I've come up with lots of recipes for cabbage and sausage or kraut... Mostly Germanic, or Polish in nature, but really nothing like this...I did find something about "Slaw Dogs", in West Virginia that seem to have come from the depression era. Cabbage and wieners were both very cheap eats, so maybe it came from this time period...

Ah well, it's not weekly, or even a monthy meal here, but it is very good on occassion, and by comparison... still cheap eats!!

As a kid I never ate this dish. It was repulsive just to look at. One time when I was about 18 we bunch of friends and I went camping. It was completely unprepared trip. Things were just thrown in back packs and we practically ran to catch a train that would take us to destination. From the train station we had about an hour hike to the cam ground. Plus 5-10 minutes to put up the tent. As soon as we started to walk the skies have opened up and what must have been a rain that poor before the flood poor on us. We got to camp grounds soaked to the last thread. It took much longer than usual to throw the tent finally when we got inside we were totally wet, everything inside the back packs was wet, we were cold and had no way to keep our selves worm, accept… well accept a bottle or maybe two of vodka. And guess what we had for chaser, yeap, you guessed it, cabbage and polish sausage. The thing I hated. There was nothing else to eat and I can’t drink vodka without some chaser. Guess what, I love this dish till now. Nobody else in family eats it, so ones in a while when I make kraut I make me this dish. I like to serve with a side of mash potato. It is really yummy.

As a kid I never ate this dish. It was repulsive just to look at. One time when I was about 18 we bunch of friends and I went camping. It was completely unprepared trip. Things were just thrown in back packs and we practically ran to catch a train that would take us to destination. From the train station we had about an hour hike to the cam ground. Plus 5-10 minutes to put up the tent. As soon as we started to walk the skies have opened up and what must have been a rain that poor before the flood poor on us. We got to camp grounds soaked to the last thread. It took much longer than usual to throw the tent finally when we got inside we were totally wet, everything inside the back packs was wet, we were cold and had no way to keep our selves worm, accept… well accept a bottle or maybe two of vodka. And guess what we had for chaser, yeap, you guessed it, cabbage and polish sausage. The thing I hated. There was nothing else to eat and I can’t drink vodka without some chaser. Guess what, I love this dish till now. Nobody else in family eats it, so ones in a while when I make kraut I make me this dish. I like to serve with a side of mash potato. It is really yummy.

Whew! Glad there was a good ending to this story, Charlie.
I had the Brokeback Mountain guitar strumming in my head as I was reading this :ermm:
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Me personally, I would need a lot of vodka to eat cooked cabbage. I can't stand the smell either. I was the only one in the family who wouldn't eat corned beef and cabbage, or pork and sauerkraut. And my heritage is Irish and German. Go figure :LOL:

Now pigs in the blanket..... as long as I'm just reheating them I'm good to go :pig:

Me personally, I would need a lot of vodka to eat cooked cabbage. ...

There was a lot of vodka. ;) Believe me. 3 of us, boys, brought couple of botles of vodka, each, and only one girl brought something to eat. Took me a while before I actually tasted the thing. Maybe you need the same kind of treatnment.

That just made me think about how I hate pinut butter, neah, it's dry in my house and vodka in the freezer is too cold to get wormed up anyway. ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom