Can I Freeze Hummus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, so I got inspired and despite questionable Tahini, I made hummus today. The Tahini was too strong so I added an extra can of chick peas. So, now I have this fabulous hummus (very proud since I don't have a food processor and it was my first time) but I have too much. I'd like to save it but don't know if I can freeze it or not. Anyone know?

Sure you can! You will have to stir it up again when you thaw it - but no problem. Since everything is already a puree - there will be no texture damage.

I was kinda wondering about this myself. I made some black bean hummus yesterday that was awesome. No need to freeze tho, it only lasted a day!!!

Well, I'm not sure I want to freeze it or chuck the whole thing now. I have never had tahini except in other people's hummus and it didn't smell or taste all that great but I didn't know how it was supposed to taste. Well, I got very ill last night and am still on the verge of losing my cookies. My problem, I also had salsa from a local restaurant Saturday, more in line with a time to get food sickness, and they just recalled jalapenos in NC. So I don't know what made me sick, the salsa or the hummus.

Since tahini is basically ground sesame, the taste it has is mainly influenced by the other ingredients and spices.

About freezing hummus, you probably can, as it is, or seasoned, or whatever, and if you seal it well it might last a lifetime.

But never ever freeze your pitta bread!!!
(no, you actually can, but re-heated it will never taste the same)

do you keep tahini in the fridge?
It doesn't say you need to and I assume it's just like peanut butter so you don't have to, but I don't use it very fast so I have been keeping it there....

Well, I'm not sure I want to freeze it or chuck the whole thing now. I have never had tahini except in other people's hummus and it didn't smell or taste all that great but I didn't know how it was supposed to taste. Well, I got very ill last night and am still on the verge of losing my cookies. My problem, I also had salsa from a local restaurant Saturday, more in line with a time to get food sickness, and they just recalled jalapenos in NC. So I don't know what made me sick, the salsa or the hummus.

Hope you get to feeling better!

do you keep tahini in the fridge?
It doesn't say you need to and I assume it's just like peanut butter so you don't have to, but I don't use it very fast so I have been keeping it there....
It was a brand new can from Walmart. Maybe it had been sitting a while and they are remodeling. I do have it in the fridge now because that's where you are supposed to keep sesame oil.

Thanks Sattie. I hope I feel better soon. I hate being at work when I would rather just be sleeping.

Hummus does freeze very nicely. As others have mentioned, simply give it a stir when it thaws. As far as Tahini goes, it does not need refrigeration. Being of Lebanese descent, Tahini is a staple in my home and I have never had it go bad and I've kept it in the pantry for months at a time. The salsa would have been the more likely cause of the food sickness.

Hummus does freeze very nicely. As others have mentioned, simply give it a stir when it thaws. As far as Tahini goes, it does not need refrigeration. Being of Lebanese descent, Tahini is a staple in my home and I have never had it go bad and I've kept it in the pantry for months at a time. The salsa would have been the more likely cause of the food sickness.
At this point I'm definitely leaning more toward the salsa. Time frame wise it makes more sense.

Thanks folks I just made hummus cuz this thread gave me a craving!!!
:)
Hope you feel better Callisto.

Woo Hoo! It wasn't the hummus. I ate it again yesterday and no ill effects what so ever. I'm going to freeze a bunch so I have it for later. I don't have a food processor so I did it in the blender. Too much work for it to be thrown out and too much work to do again. I really need a food processor.

Back
Top Bottom