"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,197
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Gwampke (or similar) is Polish. My MIL called it Halupke (Slovene or Slovak, not sure which or maybe both). I think every eastern European country has their version with its own name and slightly (or maybe very) different preparations. Over the years I took my mom's, my MIL's, and my mom's best friend's preparations, added my own. So it is Slovene, Slovak, Polish and wherever Mom learned hers.

I cannot remember where my best friend's husband's family comes from, but he insists on no tomato in the sauce, but then, likes tomato so much she prepares it on the side!
Swedish cabbage rolls, kåldolmar, don't use tomato. Maybe there is a reaction between the cabbage and the tomato. I detest cabbage rolls, but I don't remember disliking my grandmother's kåldolmar. I didn't have them often because she lived in Sweden. I don't remember if my mum made them.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
I make KFC cole slaw with cabbage. Luv the stuff. Eat the whole bowl of it myself.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Posts: 266
Did they not suggest toasting the cumin and corriander seeds before grinding?

I'm always surprised, Craig, at the number of cooks who don't do that. Even many professionals don't seem to understand the difference it makes.

Bubble ans Squeak. Compliments of Two Fat Ladies? The Irish call it Colcannon.

Bubble & Squeak is traditionally made with beef, whereas Colcannon is made with ham or bacon (which, in Ireland, often means the same thing). Had two Irish visitors to the historic site I work at independently tell me they make Colcannon with kale, rather than cabbage. They were both Dubliners, however, so I wonder if it's just a local thing?

Anyway, we're really big on cabbage---all types and all its relatives---here. It would take a book to list all the ways we prepare it. But, among our favorites, is one I adapted from a traditional Amish recipe (which, of course, means it was probably German to begin with) using red cabbage:

Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage

1/4 lb bacon, cut in lardons (or about 6 thick-sliced slices)
3/4 cup chopped onions
6 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
1 large apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
3/4 cup apple cider or juice
1/2 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp wole fennel seeds, toasted
1 tsp caraway seeds, toasted
3 tbls cider vienegar
1 tbls honey

Fry the bacon until lightly browned and fat has rendered out. Remove bacon from pot and reserve.

Saute the onios in the bacon fat until they start to color. Add the cabbage and continue sauteeing for 5-10 minutes, until cabbage wilts. Add the rest of the ingredients.

Cook over low heat, covered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The cabbage will be greatly reduced in volume. Towards the end of cooking taste and adjust with more vinegar or honey as necessary. Stir in the reserved lardons.
__________________
Most people spoil garden things by over-boiling them... if they are overboiled they have neither any sweetness or beauty. Hannah Glasse 1745
HistoricFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #24
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
Did they not suggest toasting the cumin and corriander seeds before grinding?

I'm always surprised, Craig, at the number of cooks who don't do that. Even many professionals don't seem to understand the difference it makes.

Bubble ans Squeak. Compliments of Two Fat Ladies? The Irish call it Colcannon.

Bubble & Squeak is traditionally made with beef, whereas Colcannon is made with ham or bacon (which, in Ireland, often means the same thing). Had two Irish visitors to the historic site I work at independently tell me they make Colcannon with kale, rather than cabbage. They were both Dubliners, however, so I wonder if it's just a local thing?

Anyway, we're really big on cabbage---all types and all its relatives---here. It would take a book to list all the ways we prepare it. But, among our favorites, is one I adapted from a traditional Amish recipe (which, of course, means it was probably German to begin with) using red cabbage:

Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage

1/4 lb bacon, cut in lardons (or about 6 thick-sliced slices)
3/4 cup chopped onions
6 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
1 large apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
3/4 cup apple cider or juice
1/2 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp wole fennel seeds, toasted
1 tsp caraway seeds, toasted
3 tbls cider vienegar
1 tbls honey

Fry the bacon until lightly browned and fat has rendered out. Remove bacon from pot and reserve.

Saute the onios in the bacon fat until they start to color. Add the cabbage and continue sauteeing for 5-10 minutes, until cabbage wilts. Add the rest of the ingredients.

Cook over low heat, covered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The cabbage will be greatly reduced in volume. Towards the end of cooking taste and adjust with more vinegar or honey as necessary. Stir in the reserved lardons.
That is a version of Rotkohl, a side dish I like with sauerbraten or schweinebraten.

Craig
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #25
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Posts: 266
Thanks for that name, Craig. One of the great things about cooking is that there are always new things to learn, if you leave yourself open to them. I'm assuming "Rotkohl" is German???

Stange, now that I think about it, but of all the world's cuisines, German is probably the one I know the least about. No particular reason; just the way it's worked out.
__________________
Most people spoil garden things by over-boiling them... if they are overboiled they have neither any sweetness or beauty. Hannah Glasse 1745
HistoricFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #26
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,428
now you all have me so hungry for cabbage that i'm going to have to make a cabbage run. i usually have it on hand, but i recently shredded my last cabbage into a spare ribs and sauerkraut pot....
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #27
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Shred your cabbage, and put it in an oiled baking pan. Add evaporated milk, to cover the cabbage about half-way. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover with bread crumbs and dot with butter.

Bake til hot and bubbly and cabbage is tender.

That is also nice if you leave off the bread crumbs and top it with pork chops or pork steaks. The resulting sauce is a nice topper on some baked potatoes.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #28
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
Thanks for that name, Craig. One of the great things about cooking is that there are always new things to learn, if you leave yourself open to them. I'm assuming "Rotkohl" is German???

Stange, now that I think about it, but of all the world's cuisines, German is probably the one I know the least about. No particular reason; just the way it's worked out.
Germany is one country that makes this type of cabbage dish. I'm sure there are Polish and Hungarian versions as well as Austrian, etc. Rotkohl is the German name for it.

I would love to know the regional cusines of native Americans, but I'm guessing folks were more interested in their land back then more so than their culture.

Craig
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 323
I like it grated, steamed, then covered with cheese sauce....served with mashed potatoes and roast pork.
Soma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #30
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Posts: 266
I would love to know the regional cusines of native Americans

If you want to talk about that, Craig, let's start a new thread, instead of hijacking this one.

One quick word, though. The who-when-where questions, essential to any historical research, are particularly important here. Regional differences are just one aspect. Others include tribal/cultural affiliations and time. Native foodways of the pre- early- and late-reservation periods, for instance, can be very different even within the same tribal unit.

Even more important are the differences between pre- and post-European contact.
__________________
Most people spoil garden things by over-boiling them... if they are overboiled they have neither any sweetness or beauty. Hannah Glasse 1745
HistoricFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass
Shred your cabbage, and put it in an oiled baking pan. Add evaporated milk, to cover the cabbage about half-way. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover with bread crumbs and dot with butter.

Bake til hot and bubbly and cabbage is tender.
Cabbage is on tomorrow's list! Yummy recipes, all!

I admit, I would never have thought about cabbage and dairy...
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
i love plain cooked cabbage with butter. i have a recipe that makes sweet cabbage. yummy but the butter makes it a no no for awhile.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #33
Head Chef
 
joesfolk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,737
I like to take the last quarter of a good sized head of cabbage and shred some other veggies then make egg rolls from them.
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
luckytrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southeastern pa.
Posts: 13,916


http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...age-68729.html
__________________
“Bad men need nothing more to accomplish their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
― John Stuart Mill
luckytrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #35
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,970
I have seen a TV show where a whole cabbage was stuffed like this (I think maybe Jacques Pepin did it years ago) and have meant to try it. Neat-oh!
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #36
Senior Cook
 
JoshuaNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 129
This thread just blew up. Thanks for all the great ideas guys. Im gonna test em all out.
__________________
Kachow! Joshua
JoshuaNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,710
My favorite cole slaw recipe:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...law-69550.html
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #38
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 10,539
Cabbage ideas:

Longwind's Super-Juicy Cole Slaw

New England Boiled Dinner

Cabbage Rolls With Chief Longwind's Special Meatballs

Cabbage Rolls with Porcupine Meatballs

Sour kraut and sausages

Bok Choy in egg rolls

Steamed cabbage with butter

Bok Choy in stir fries

Fired cabbage with noodles and meat

Grated cabbage and carrots in orange jello with raisins and nuts

Marinara sauce with shredded Cabbage

Cabbage Soup

If you are interested in any of the above recipes, let me know and I'll post them.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #39
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Posts: 266
I have seen a TV show where a whole cabbage was stuffed like this (I think maybe Jacques Pepin did it years ago)

And Mrs. Beeton before him; and Thomas Jefferson before her; and Hannah Glasse before him; and.......it's a very old technique, with only the stuffing varying.

I've tasted several versions of it, and they're all good.
__________________
Most people spoil garden things by over-boiling them... if they are overboiled they have neither any sweetness or beauty. Hannah Glasse 1745
HistoricFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,515
Around me, it's slaw with BBQ, Fried Catfish etc. ~~ Also cabbage "greens"...Cooked like any other greens with smoked pork parts of your choice. ~ Cornbread in one shape or form is always on the side. ~~ For a full meal deal, add several sliced weenies while cooking...serve with cornbread, and yellow mustard for dipping the weenies in....
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cabbage

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.