Can we talk Cabbage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gwampke (or similar) is Polish. My MIL called it Halupke (Slovene or Slovak, not sure which or maybe both). I think every eastern European country has their version with its own name and slightly (or maybe very) different preparations. Over the years I took my mom's, my MIL's, and my mom's best friend's preparations, added my own. So it is Slovene, Slovak, Polish and wherever Mom learned hers.

I cannot remember where my best friend's husband's family comes from, but he insists on no tomato in the sauce, but then, likes tomato so much she prepares it on the side!

Swedish cabbage rolls, kåldolmar, don't use tomato. Maybe there is a reaction between the cabbage and the tomato. I detest cabbage rolls, but I don't remember disliking my grandmother's kåldolmar. I didn't have them often because she lived in Sweden. I don't remember if my mum made them.

Did they not suggest toasting the cumin and corriander seeds before grinding?

I'm always surprised, Craig, at the number of cooks who don't do that. Even many professionals don't seem to understand the difference it makes.

Bubble ans Squeak. Compliments of Two Fat Ladies? The Irish call it Colcannon.

Bubble & Squeak is traditionally made with beef, whereas Colcannon is made with ham or bacon (which, in Ireland, often means the same thing). Had two Irish visitors to the historic site I work at independently tell me they make Colcannon with kale, rather than cabbage. They were both Dubliners, however, so I wonder if it's just a local thing?

Anyway, we're really big on cabbage---all types and all its relatives---here. It would take a book to list all the ways we prepare it. But, among our favorites, is one I adapted from a traditional Amish recipe (which, of course, means it was probably German to begin with) using red cabbage:

Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage

1/4 lb bacon, cut in lardons (or about 6 thick-sliced slices)
3/4 cup chopped onions
6 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
1 large apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
3/4 cup apple cider or juice
1/2 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp wole fennel seeds, toasted
1 tsp caraway seeds, toasted
3 tbls cider vienegar
1 tbls honey

Fry the bacon until lightly browned and fat has rendered out. Remove bacon from pot and reserve.

Saute the onios in the bacon fat until they start to color. Add the cabbage and continue sauteeing for 5-10 minutes, until cabbage wilts. Add the rest of the ingredients.

Cook over low heat, covered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The cabbage will be greatly reduced in volume. Towards the end of cooking taste and adjust with more vinegar or honey as necessary. Stir in the reserved lardons.

Did they not suggest toasting the cumin and corriander seeds before grinding?

I'm always surprised, Craig, at the number of cooks who don't do that. Even many professionals don't seem to understand the difference it makes.

Bubble ans Squeak. Compliments of Two Fat Ladies? The Irish call it Colcannon.

Bubble & Squeak is traditionally made with beef, whereas Colcannon is made with ham or bacon (which, in Ireland, often means the same thing). Had two Irish visitors to the historic site I work at independently tell me they make Colcannon with kale, rather than cabbage. They were both Dubliners, however, so I wonder if it's just a local thing?

Anyway, we're really big on cabbage---all types and all its relatives---here. It would take a book to list all the ways we prepare it. But, among our favorites, is one I adapted from a traditional Amish recipe (which, of course, means it was probably German to begin with) using red cabbage:

Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage

1/4 lb bacon, cut in lardons (or about 6 thick-sliced slices)
3/4 cup chopped onions
6 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
1 large apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
3/4 cup apple cider or juice
1/2 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp wole fennel seeds, toasted
1 tsp caraway seeds, toasted
3 tbls cider vienegar
1 tbls honey

Fry the bacon until lightly browned and fat has rendered out. Remove bacon from pot and reserve.

Saute the onios in the bacon fat until they start to color. Add the cabbage and continue sauteeing for 5-10 minutes, until cabbage wilts. Add the rest of the ingredients.

Cook over low heat, covered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The cabbage will be greatly reduced in volume. Towards the end of cooking taste and adjust with more vinegar or honey as necessary. Stir in the reserved lardons.

That is a version of Rotkohl, a side dish I like with sauerbraten or schweinebraten.

Craig

Thanks for that name, Craig. One of the great things about cooking is that there are always new things to learn, if you leave yourself open to them. I'm assuming "Rotkohl" is German???

Stange, now that I think about it, but of all the world's cuisines, German is probably the one I know the least about. No particular reason; just the way it's worked out.

now you all have me so hungry for cabbage that i'm going to have to make a cabbage run. i usually have it on hand, but i recently shredded my last cabbage into a spare ribs and sauerkraut pot....

Shred your cabbage, and put it in an oiled baking pan. Add evaporated milk, to cover the cabbage about half-way. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover with bread crumbs and dot with butter.

Bake til hot and bubbly and cabbage is tender.

That is also nice if you leave off the bread crumbs and top it with pork chops or pork steaks. The resulting sauce is a nice topper on some baked potatoes.

Thanks for that name, Craig. One of the great things about cooking is that there are always new things to learn, if you leave yourself open to them. I'm assuming "Rotkohl" is German???

Stange, now that I think about it, but of all the world's cuisines, German is probably the one I know the least about. No particular reason; just the way it's worked out.

Germany is one country that makes this type of cabbage dish. I'm sure there are Polish and Hungarian versions as well as Austrian, etc. Rotkohl is the German name for it.

I would love to know the regional cusines of native Americans, but I'm guessing folks were more interested in their land back then more so than their culture.

Craig

Last edited:
I would love to know the regional cusines of native Americans

If you want to talk about that, Craig, let's start a new thread, instead of hijacking this one.

One quick word, though. The who-when-where questions, essential to any historical research, are particularly important here. Regional differences are just one aspect. Others include tribal/cultural affiliations and time. Native foodways of the pre- early- and late-reservation periods, for instance, can be very different even within the same tribal unit.

Even more important are the differences between pre- and post-European contact.

sparrowgrass said:
Shred your cabbage, and put it in an oiled baking pan. Add evaporated milk, to cover the cabbage about half-way. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover with bread crumbs and dot with butter.

Bake til hot and bubbly and cabbage is tender.

Cabbage is on tomorrow's list! Yummy recipes, all!

I admit, I would never have thought about cabbage and dairy...

I like to take the last quarter of a good sized head of cabbage and shred some other veggies then make egg rolls from them.

img_1103898_0_d3e0869caddfbff9f763e5be4e341fb5.jpg

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/venison-stuffed-whole-cabbage-68729.html

I have seen a TV show where a whole cabbage was stuffed like this (I think maybe Jacques Pepin did it years ago) and have meant to try it. Neat-oh!

This thread just blew up. Thanks for all the great ideas guys. Im gonna test em all out.

Cabbage ideas:

Longwind's Super-Juicy Cole Slaw

New England Boiled Dinner

Cabbage Rolls With Chief Longwind's Special Meatballs

Cabbage Rolls with Porcupine Meatballs

Sour kraut and sausages

Bok Choy in egg rolls

Steamed cabbage with butter

Bok Choy in stir fries

Fired cabbage with noodles and meat

Grated cabbage and carrots in orange jello with raisins and nuts

Marinara sauce with shredded Cabbage

Cabbage Soup

If you are interested in any of the above recipes, let me know and I'll post them.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have seen a TV show where a whole cabbage was stuffed like this (I think maybe Jacques Pepin did it years ago)

And Mrs. Beeton before him; and Thomas Jefferson before her; and Hannah Glasse before him; and.......it's a very old technique, with only the stuffing varying.

I've tasted several versions of it, and they're all good.

Around me, it's slaw with BBQ, Fried Catfish etc. ~~ Also cabbage "greens"...Cooked like any other greens with smoked pork parts of your choice. ~ Cornbread in one shape or form is always on the side. ~~ For a full meal deal, add several sliced weenies while cooking...serve with cornbread, and yellow mustard for dipping the weenies in....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom