Canned Tomatoes. What do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i mostly have cans of whole peeled, crushed, and paste, but i also stock a can or two of hunt's canned sauce for specific dishes.

i wait for cento brand imported san marzanos (cento also sells domestic sm's) to go on sale twice a year and i stock up. i buy about 20 cans each time of whole peeled, and maybe 10 of paste. i save over $2 per can by doing that. they go surprisingly quickly, though.

i don't buy many cans of crushed and no puree. whole peeled can be turned into crushed or puree pretty easily with a knife and/or your hands.

Crushed and paste, whatever brand is on sale. Usually the 28oz. cans can be had for a buck at the club store.

I'm not crazy about the texture of chunky tomatoes.

Tomatoes

I checked my larder.. Pantry to you who don't know the other word...
I buy Stewed, Diced, Puree, Sauce, Paste, Crushed by the case when they are in season and on sale. Brand varies but Hunts, DelMonte are the best for the price. I use them in soups, stews and stewed heated in a sauce pan on med. Lo to Med. heat. I add three sliced of bread, chunked (torn apart) and 1TBS Splenda. Cook until hot and serve as salad or side either one. One 15oz can serves 2 people just fine...

i wait for cento brand imported san marzanos (cento also sells domestic sm's) to go on sale twice a year and i stock up. i buy about 20 cans each time of whole peeled, and maybe 10 of paste. i save over $2 per can by doing that. they go surprisingly quickly, though.
Cento is the brand I like best. Makes the best pizza sauce, too.

For those that don't understnd, you have to be a city kid on the East Coast. :angel:
...or pretty much anywhere else in the world. ;)

Stanislaus 7/11 is also good but I don't like the fact that they have citric acid added. Seems a ton of pizza/Italian joints use either Escalon 6-in-1 or Stanislaus 7/11.

Last edited:
I buy whole tinned tomatoes and then chop, puree or leave depending on what I'm doing. Apart from anything else the whole ones are always a bit cheaper so, why not? I add any flavorings myself.
In the summer when I have a glut of them from the garden I half them, sprinkle with EVOO, season and roast until edges are slightly singed then crush with a potato masher or puree then freeze in batches for winter sauces etc. Sometimes I roast them with Indian spices or cumin, mediterranean herbs such as Basil/ onion, garlic, red peppers whatever inspires me on the day. Makes wonderful soups, pasta sauces, curry bases. I usually use a dash of ketchup rather than concentrated tomato puree if I want to 'beef' up the flavor. ;)

Pac,

I have several cans of crushed tomatoes in the basement (the store had a sale and tis what I like to use anyways). When I can them I skin, reduce and stick the immersion blender in.

I will buy diced, sauce, paste, stewed, whole as needed (though if I see paste on sale I will pick up extra).

Crushed tomatoes in puree, small diced with and without added herbs and spices, both canned tomato paste for when the recipe calls for ounces and tomato paste in a tube when the recipe calls for tea- or tablespoons, and I usually keep a can of tomato sauce on hand just in case a recipe calls for it.

For every step the manufacturer takes to reduce the tomato, it is added to the final cost of the product as a whole. So I try to buy whole tomatoes and crush, puree, or whatever myself. It only takes a couple of seconds. Sometmes when diced are on sale, I will buy a couple of cans. I can add my own seasonings. I use Amercian canned tomatoes for my mac and cheese. A couple of sharp knives placed inside the can and they are cut up just fine. I am more about the final cost than the convience of the final product. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom