Canned Tomatoes. What do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the seeds removed for puree and canned sauce? Running canned whole tomatoes through a food mill takes a lot longer than a few seconds.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the seeds removed for puree and canned sauce? Running canned whole tomatoes through a food mill takes a lot longer than a few seconds.

If I am willing to eat the seeds in a BLT, then I see no reason to go through a lot of work to remove them in order to obtain a product I can purchase off the shelf of my supermarket. I don't mind taking extra steps to save money, but sometimes it becomes downright silly.

I just HAD to have a food mill. Just HAD to. My cooking life was not going to be complete without one. Then I saw one in a yard sale. After using it twice, I realized why it was in the yard sale. It went right into the trash. On top of the trash can where it could be seen by walkerbys. Sure enough, it was only there for less than an hour. I am so glad I never invested in a new one.

I also had to have a potato ricer. Difficult to store and a lot of work to use. Cleanup is no picnic either. Grant you, I does make great fluffy mashed potaotes, but so not worth the price. It is now the proud possesion of my daughter. Good luck to her. I often think that the best thing that ever happened to me was having to downsize. It certainly cut down on all those wonderful things I just thought I had to have. Can my large FP do the same job? Good, then I don't need an appliance designed just for that one purpose. And if it can't, then I will find a recipe that my FP can do for me. Be carfull what you wish for. It just might mean more work than you want. :angel:

Yes it takes more then a few seconds.

But isn't what we eat worth it?

Cooking is enjoyment for me and I don't mind the time.

Have we really become a society where a millisecond counts?

I'm sorry if I'm old fashioned but I still don't believe 9:01 is late when 9:00 was the time agreed upon.

I find whole tomatoes are generally more expensive than crushed, puree, etc.

I use a ricer for mashed because I like my potatoes light, fluffy and lump-free. A ricer is easier to clean than a FP.

Never had a food mill. Don't miss it.

Yes it takes more then a few seconds.

But isn't what we eat worth it?

Cooking is enjoyment for me and I don't mind the time.

Have we really become a society where a millisecond counts?

I'm sorry if I'm old fashioned but I still don't believe 9:01 is late when 9:00 was the time agreed upon.

And I prefer to be there at 8:59. Can me anal, I know I am. But I don't like to keep folks waiting. :angel:

Oh I agree being early is the way to go but have we become slaves to the "Cell Phone" clock to the point where a few seconds (60) matter so much?

Sorry but I like to believe that 9ish is just that. Around 9:00 and a tiny bit of time plus or minus isn't a deal breaker. :rolleyes:

removing seeds from tomatoes is pretty easy, no big deal.

after blanching to remove the skin, you just cut them in half and give a gentle squeeze. most of the seeds and unwanted liquid comes out. i mean, unless you are a michelin chef, you don't have get rid of every single seed.

after blanching to remove the skin, you just cut them in half and give a gentle squeeze. most of the seeds and unwanted liquid comes out. i mean, unless you are a michelin chef, you don't have get rid of every single seed.

And I always thought I had five stars or diamonds or tires or whatever it is they give nowadays. :angel:

I like tomato seeds. But I do put my crushed and whole through the food mill sometimes to get rid of skins and other stuff you find on occasion in the can that I don't want in my sauce.

I use my rice to squeeze out liquid from juicy foods.

For every step the manufacturer takes to reduce the tomato, it is added to the final cost of the product as a whole. So I try to buy whole tomatoes and crush, puree, or whatever myself. It only takes a couple of seconds. Sometmes when diced are on sale, I will buy a couple of cans. I can add my own seasonings. I use Amercian canned tomatoes for my mac and cheese. A couple of sharp knives placed inside the can and they are cut up just fine. I am more about the final cost than the convience of the final product. :angel:

You must have missed my earlier post. Here anyway, at the stores I shop, a can of whole tomatoes costs exactly the same as a can of diced, puree, crushed... whatever. So if they are passing on the extra costs of processing they are distributing it amongst all the varieties they sell. I'm not saying it isn't the stores that might be evening out costs. If whole tomatoes were cheaper, that's what I would be buying.

I've never tried removing seeds from canned tomatoes. That seems like it would be a mooky mess doing them like you would a fresh tomato :wacko:

no, i was talking about fresh tomatoes. you wouldn't have to blanch or skin canned tomatoes, either.

" i mean, unless you are a michelin chef, you don't have get rid of every single seed."

5 Star or A.R.
They're about the same. ;)

I like my food mill and it does what it was made to do. :yum:

no, i was talking about fresh tomatoes. you wouldn't have to blanch or skin canned tomatoes, either.

Ahh. I must have missed the turn in the road :LOL:
One minute the conversation was about the seeds present in whole tomatoes and not the purees and the next you were talking about how easy it was to remove the seeds. For all I know, since I've never bought them, SM tomatoes came with the skins on. I thought you were talking about them.

Fresh tomatoes. Gotcha. I use a spoon to dig the seeds out. They never seem to come out when I squeeze them. They just hang there :ermm:

You take the seeds out? Never done that myself. Just lazy I guess.

When I'm using fresh tomatoes I take the seeds out for some things, pico de gallo comes to mind because I just made some... other stuff, too... Scrambled eggs... Things I don't want a lot of tomato liquids in. Especially in a warm dish. Unless I'm layering the top of a casserole with slices.

Ahh. I must have missed the turn in the road :LOL:
One minute the conversation was about the seeds present in whole tomatoes and not the purees and the next you were talking about how easy it was to remove the seeds. For all I know, since I've never bought them, SM tomatoes came with the skins on. I thought you were talking about them.

Fresh tomatoes. Gotcha. I use a spoon to dig the seeds out. They never seem to come out when I squeeze them. They just hang there :ermm:

If you cut fresh tomatoes in half at the 'equator' rather than 'pole to pole' a quick squeeze and shake into the sink will de-seed them . It's also easier to just stick your impeccably clean finger into each cavity and expel the seeds and gel.

Note: Does not apply to canned tomatoes

If you cut fresh tomatoes in half at the 'equator' rather than 'pole to pole' a quick squeeze and shake into the sink will de-seed them . It's also easier to just stick your impeccably clean finger into each cavity and expel the seeds and gel.

Note: Does not apply to canned tomatoes

Maybe I don't squeeze my 'maters hard enough. I always slice through the equater. And I squeeze. And the seeds just hang there... If I wanted crushed tomatoes I'd buy canned :LOL:
Besides, I've got the spoon thing down pretty good :cool: A push, a twist, a flick of the spoon, wala!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom