Canned Tomatoes. What do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahh. I must have missed the turn in the road :LOL:
One minute the conversation was about the seeds present in whole tomatoes and not the purees and the next you were talking about how easy it was to remove the seeds.

addie was driving.

you know how those bostonians drive...

addie was driving.

you know how those Bostonians drive...

So true. So true. We own the road. Get out of our way.

I had company from California. I was taking them on the Freedom Trail. We were about to cross Tremont street and a car wanted to go up Park Street. It is a very narrow street with two way driving and parking on both sides. There was a car coming down, so the car that wanted to go up Park Street, just drove up on the sidewalk. A very common occurrence. They still haven't gotten over that one. And that was more than ten years ago. Every time I hear from the wife, she asks me if I have seen any cars driving on the sidewalks. If they are, I never even notice. If you are in our way, we either push you out of our way or go around you. Care to drive up here for a visit? :angel:

this pretty much sums it up: (but don't click on it if you're offended by foul language)

Boston: Because **** you. - PandaWhale

Sounds like you have tried to drive in Boston. To add to the confusion, they just finished building a new road just for service vehicles to the airport. And when you come out of the Callahan Tunnel and DON'T want to go to the airport, good luck. Once you get into the airport, you are never seen again. :angel:

even the cows and horses that laid down the original paths creating boston's streets used to get lost. ;)

even the cows and horses that laid down the original paths creating boston's streets used to get lost. ;)

There are some streets that when you cross the street, the name changes in the middle of the block. We do that just to confuse tourists. :angel:

I find whole tomatoes are generally more expensive than crushed, puree, etc.

I use a ricer for mashed because I like my potatoes light, fluffy and lump-free. A ricer is easier to clean than a FP.

Never had a food mill. Don't miss it.

My FP sits on the counter top. Take the lid off, toss in the can of whole tomatoes and whiz them. When I wash it, the base is right there to put it back together. Where do you store a ricer? :angel:

There are some streets that when you cross the street, the name changes in the middle of the block. We do that just to confuse tourists. :angel:

Missoula was planned on logging mills and cow tracks, too...the streets are wider, though.

this pretty much sums it up: (but don't click on it if you're offended by foul language)

Boston: Because **** you. - PandaWhale

You got a problem with that?

I had to laugh. A member on an Aruba forum stated that you have to be careful of Aruban drivers, because they drive like Boston drivers. He had no clue. I walk faster than Aruban drivers drive. The actually stop at crosswalks!

"Never had a food mill. Don't miss it."

Can't miss what you never had. ;)

I've never had a ricer so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. :rolleyes:

I believe a ricer does the same thing only easier then a mill.

Until I get one I'll keep using my mill for Canned Tomatoes that aren't of the crushed variety. :chef:

I always have tomato sauce, whole tomatoes and puree in the can, but those are for emergency only.

During the summer months we have enough tomatoes from our plants that I roast them and freeze them.

When I want sauce just thaw them out, blend then and it's the best sauce ever.

When we run out of those at winters end I use the canned stuff.

I can't wait to get my tomato plants going this year.

"Never had a food mill. Don't miss it."
Can't miss what you never had. ;)

I've never had a ricer so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. :rolleyes:

I believe a ricer does the same thing only easier then a mill.

Until I get one I'll keep using my mill for Canned Tomatoes that aren't of the crushed variety. :chef:

The primary benefit of a mill in the world of tomato processing is that it removes skin and seeds from tomatoes I don't process fresh tomatoes to remove seeds and skin so haven't felt the need for a mill. I buy canned tomato that has the skin removed. I ignore the seeds.

The ricer does a fine job of ricing potatoes and pressing moisture out of foods. Could another tool do the same. Maybe.

Maybe I don't squeeze my 'maters hard enough. I always slice through the equater. And I squeeze. And the seeds just hang there... If I wanted crushed tomatoes I'd buy canned :LOL:
Besides, I've got the spoon thing down pretty good :cool: A push, a twist, a flick of the spoon, wala!

I slice off the "lid" enough to expose the cavity with the guts, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch is all you gotta slice off. Then I turn it over the sink and give a good squeeze. Not much of a problem with stragglers, usually gets everything out nicely for me.

no mayonnaise said:
I slice off the "lid" enough to expose the cavity with the guts, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch is all you gotta slice off. Then I turn it over the sink and give a good squeeze. Not much of a problem with stragglers, usually gets everything out nicely for me.

SACRILEGE!!!!!!

There's more flavor in what you squeeze out than any other part of the 'mater.

I understand that the juice may be undesirable as excess liquid in any given recipe but don't waste it.

Granted, I'm a certifiable fanatic when it comes to tomatoes but try this....

Squeeze out the seeds and juice into a tumbler, add sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste and drink.

Nectar of the Gods my friend!

Back
Top Bottom