Celeriac (celery root)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
One of the veggies on my list of fall/winter veggies to work with as I'm developing recipes is celeriac. We grow it in the garden--it is definitely one of the ugliest veggies available, but I like it. I like it raw, in a mash, as the star in cream soup, and as part of roasted root veggies. But, I have discovered that I really like celeriac fries. I had half of a big one left after playing in the kitchen and wondered what it would be like deep fried. Sweet potato fries, move over, there is a new favorite fry on the block. I also tried it oven fried, but I gotta admit, I like it better deep fried. If you see it in the market and wonder "what would I do with that?" I'd suggest bringing it home and making fries to accompany your favorite burger. It stays crisp when deep-fried (the oven-fried ones didn't have the same texture).

How do you like to use celeriac?

I like it sliced and simmered until soft then I put it in a shallow dish, pour over cheese sauce and top with fresh breadcrumbs. Brown under the grill and serve with ham, sausages, chicken or whatever you want really. Great supper dish even on it's own.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom