Chili Lime Sweet Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Neither my wife nor I learned to like sweet potatoes until relatively late in life. Growing up, they were always served at family get togethers drowning in marshmallows, brown sugar, and maple syrup - more like a dessert than a side dish. That turned us off of them for years, until I started experimenting with more savory recipes.

This is hands down my favorite recipe for sweet potatoes. It's quick and easy and, best of all, there is nothing sweet about it. We have these at least once a month and there's usually a fight over who gets the last serving.

Ingredients:

• 2 lbs garnet or jewel sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
Dressing:

• 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • zest from one lime, finely minced
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 425°F
  2. Toss sweet potatoes, onions, olive oil, salt, and chili powder. Arrange potato mixture in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
  3. While the potatoes are in the oven, whisk together dressing ingredients. Toss hot potatoes in dressing and serve.

Last edited:
I agree - I'll only eat sweet potatoes that are mixed with savory ingredients. I do something similar to yours - I toss them in extra virgin olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin powder, Cajun/Creole seasoning, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, and lime juice, and roast them.

This does sound fab! I never sweeten my sweet potatoes either. We eat them baked, roasted and as a topping for cottage pie etc. Pretty much as a replacement for potatoes.

I love sweet potatoes!!! I've bookmarked this recipe, hope to try it soon. Garnets are my favorite!

Yuck on the marshmallows too. Yucky yuck! I usually roast mine until the skins start falling off, then mash them a bit and serve them with salt and butter. Even now (just past midnight local) the thought makes me hungry. (I am most certainly NOT a midnight snacker.)

I think I'll give that a try with regular potatoes. Sweet potatoes are estrogenic, so I'm not supposed to eat them.

That even sounds like it would be good with rutabuggers. ;)

Neither my wife nor I learned to like sweet potatoes until relatively late in life. Growing up, they were always served at family get togethers drowning in marshmallows, brown sugar, and maple syrup - more like a dessert than a side dish. That turned us off of them for years, until I started experimenting with more savory recipes.

This is hands down my favorite recipe for sweet potatoes. It's quick and easy and, best of all, there is nothing sweet about it. We have these at least once a month and there's usually a fight over who gets the last serving.

Ingredients:

• 2 lbs garnet or jewel sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
Dressing:

• 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • zest from one lime, finely minced
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 425°F
  2. Toss sweet potatoes, onions, olive oil, salt, and chili powder. Arrange potato mixture in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
  3. While the potatoes are in the oven, whisk together dressing ingredients. Toss hot potatoes in dressing and serve.
:LOL::LOL:Minnesota Thanksgiving Sweet Yams! HA-HA! Turned me off sweet potatoes for years as well. The recipe you posted sounds great. I also like to make this:

Recipe Details

I often use quinoa instead of bulgar. Barley would probably work as well.

I'll be giving it a whirl tonight, with yams, which considering whew I bought them are most likely sweet potatoes :wacko:

There were yams on one side and sweet potatoes on the other. Unless the store mixed them up, I got sweet potatoes and will be giving this a go tomorrow or Wednesday.

Just done your chilli lime sweet potatoes and they were a big hit with my family they loved them. Thankyou Steve from Tina in yorkshire Enland:yum:

Just done your chilli lime sweet potatoes and they were a big hit with my family they loved them. Thankyou Steve from Tina in yorkshire Enland:yum:
Thank you, Tina! I'm glad you enjoyed them. Just being curious but whereabouts in Yorkshire do you live? I have several good friends who live in the Pontefract area in West Yorkshire, and another who lives near Leeds. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom