Chow chow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Whenever I see something I haven't tried before on a restaurant menu of =r in a shop I'll usually try it. The other day I came across chow chow (aka chayote, choko, christophene, etc., etc., depending on where you are in the world).
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FChayote;2592;1944

I've looked up recipes but they seem to be very hot curries or rather boring salads. Do any of you cook them? Recipes? I've got Jane Grigson's Veg Book but nothing appeals.

All help will be appreciated

Hmm. Chow Chow to me is an end of season pickle relish, using up the last of the garden bounty. Cukes, cabbage, onion, peppers, anything. And mustard seed. My mom was very fond of it.

Hmm. Chow Chow to me is an end of season pickle relish, using up the last of the garden bounty. Cukes, cabbage, onion, peppers, anything. And mustard seed. My mom was very fond of it.
My M-I-L makes it. She usually includes cauliflower florets. She also includes enough mustard that it's in a yellow sauce. I'm not sure if she uses prepared (ball park) mustard or mustard powder. It would, in my opinion, be better without so much mustard. But, yes, there are lots of different vegis in it.

Mad Cook, check out Ball Blue Book or some of the US extension offices, like North Dakota State University or Iowa State University.

Since I can remember, my mother made chow chow with sliced green tomatoes and onions, vinegar, sugar, salt and spices. Not much else.
2Q==
2Q==

Last edited:
Yes, we have that too. Lovely with cold meat the day after the roast.

I used to stay with my Aunt a lot in the 1950s. She didn't have a washing machine so wash day, on Monday, utilised the dolly tub and mangle -

and took all day. Monday lunch therefore was a bit of a catch all. Cold meat left over from the Sunday roast, pickle like yours or home made pickled onions or my Mother's beetroot chutney and bubble and squeak made from Sunday's left over mashed potatoes and veg. I loved it almost as much as the roast's first outing the previous day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom