"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Cold vegetable salad for summer

It's so HOT here today, in the 90's in Wisconsin.

I made a cold vegetable salad. 2 quarts and 1 2-cup serving.

A combination of cooked and raw veggies which can be eaten cold with dressing (like a tomato dressing or a mustard dressing). Or over lettuce. Or heated and served over rice or chopped potatoes with a sauce (like a red pepper sauce or any veggie sauce), for a warm meal.

Since it is summer we have some things we can eat from the garden. Not enough for canning, drying, or freezing.

Today's cold veggie salad is: turnips, red cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, onions, red peppers, wheat berries, red beans. Colorful.
I didn't add tomatoes since we sometimes use a tomato dressing, and we both will cut up tomatoes if we're in the mood, when we're serving ourselves.

Whatever we make and put in the fridge, is, what we eat. There's some planned overs in the fridge too. Lots of variety.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:49 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I've been making mostly salads lately, due to the horrible heat, plus all those veggies coming in now! I have to cook some okra (starting to produce fast now) today, if nothing else, blanch what I have to freeze it. I had gazpacho (basically a liquefied salad!) last light, and for breakfast, and still have over 2 qts of it left.

Old 08-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Pepperhead, gazpacho is such a great idea this time of year. A savory smoothie in a bowl, almost.

Good luck on the okra. I've never grown it and I think I ate one piece of pickled okra when I was in the southern states one year. A lot of people love that stuff!
Old 08-06-2022, 03:15 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Several years ago, one cool spring evening, I made a Rachael Ray recipe she called Salsa Stoup (stoup is thicker than soup but thinner than stew). It's basically cooked salsa ingredients. We ate it hot that first night and it was delicious.

The next day was very warm and we had the stoup cold. Wow, that was refreshing on a hot evening! I'm not a big fan of gazpacho because I don't really like raw onions and garlic, but this cooked version was very tasty.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2117843

Tags
broccoli, onion, recipe, red beans, red cabbage, red peppers, salad, turnips, wheat berries

Cold vegetable salad for summer It's so HOT here today, in the 90's in Wisconsin. I made a cold vegetable salad. 2 quarts and 1 2-cup serving. A combination of cooked and raw veggies which can be eaten cold with dressing (like a tomato dressing or a mustard dressing). Or over lettuce. Or heated and served over rice or chopped potatoes with a sauce (like a red pepper sauce or any veggie sauce), for a warm meal. Since it is summer we have some things we can eat from the garden. Not enough for canning, drying, or freezing. Today's cold veggie salad is: turnips, red cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, onions, red peppers, wheat berries, red beans. Colorful. I didn't add tomatoes since we sometimes use a tomato dressing, and we both will cut up tomatoes if we're in the mood, when we're serving ourselves. Whatever we make and put in the fridge, is, what we eat. There's some planned overs in the fridge too. Lots of variety. 3 stars 1 reviews