Collard Greens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I have about 35 collard and 35 kale plants that looks like they will be around a while, so what is your favorite way to prepare collards?:)

My method is wash..tear into pieces, simmer in plenty of water... I like lots for pot likker!!!!! Season with plenty of salt, and any of the usual pork seasoning meats...Ham hocks, salt pork, bacon, etc. Around here, smoked pork neck bones are popular too!
Serve with plenty of pot likker...corn bread, and hot pepper sauce!!! A big bowl of greens, corn bread, a glass of tea...Good eats!!

I'm with Uncle Bob. Sometimes I also fix them with chicken broth, chorizo with chunks of onion, garlic and hot sauce.

Happy Birthday, by the way.

My favorite way recently has been to cut them in squares (removing the larger ribs) and cook them in a bit of beef broth with some salt and some canola oil. I just use what water is on them and maybe 1 cup or so broth. Cook for about 30 - 45 minutes. They still have some bite to them and a very fresh flavor. I can't get enough of them when I make them this way. I keep sneaking into the fridge and picking at them! No vinegar required and actually, the vinegar isn't even good on them unless they are cooked a LOT more.

My method is wash..tear into pieces, simmer in plenty of water... I like lots for pot likker!!!!! Season with plenty of salt, and any of the usual pork seasoning meats...Ham hocks, salt pork, bacon, etc. Around here, smoked pork neck bones are popular too!
Serve with plenty of pot likker...corn bread, and hot pepper sauce!!! A big bowl of greens, corn bread, a glass of tea...Good eats!!

Yum. What Bob said.

I cook mine to death. It's the only green I'll do that too except when I add kale to pot roast.

kitchenelf said:
I can't get enough of them when I make them this way. I keep sneaking into the fridge and picking at them!

Sneaking into the fridge, or walking by the stove and eating turnips/mustard/collards with your hand:ermm:...... That qualifies you as a gin-u-wine country girl!!! :-p

:LOL:

i thought i remember from past discussions that one cooks the snot out of collards:LOL: guess I will too..

I am thawing a smoked ham hock that I hope I can do double duty on a pan of collards and a lentil soup

I wash and strip them off the center stems, then I roll and cross cut into strips and blanche them in boiling salted water for 1 or 2 minnutes. I drain them and squeeze into balls (more or less) and slice through again a few times. Then I slow braise them in broth with pork parts (preferably smoked) onion or shallot, sometimes garlic. The greens are tender and suculant, the broth (pot likker) is so good and rich.

I'll serve this with almost anything...fish fancy or simple, sausage, pork tenderloin, chicken, beans or peas (field) or not. Dark greens are just wonderful and collards are so versatile! Also love turnip greens.

beth - they are kind of like fresh asparagus versus canned. If you cook asparagus long enough it will taste exactly like canned. Collard greens, if cooked for a much shorter time, are very fresh tasting. Longer cooking just results in a different taste. I have grown to love the shorter-cooked version!

Robo - I love collard greens with leg of lamb! It's a perfect pairing!

I wash and strip them off the center stems, then I roll and cross cut into strips and blanche them in boiling salted water for 1 or 2 minnutes. I drain them and squeeze into balls (more or less) and slice through again a few times. Then I slow braise them in broth with pork parts (preferably smoked) onion or shallot, sometimes garlic. The greens are tender and suculant, the broth (pot likker) is so good and rich.

so how long do you braise them?

beth - they are kind of like fresh asparagus versus canned. If you cook asparagus long enough it will taste exactly like canned. Collard greens, if cooked for a much shorter time, are very fresh tasting. Longer cooking just results in a different taste. I have grown to love the shorter-cooked version!

okay, didn't realize this. now I don't know what to do:LOL:

Darn pity you lived so far away, they are my Best Ever Fave greens, I simply cut the main central stem out the middle of each leaf, wash well, shred them 2-3cms wide and put them in a pot of cold salted water with fresh ground nutmeg, bring them to the boil for 10 minutes then add whole skinless chicken breasts.
after 15-20 mins take the breasts out and put in the oven where where you`re keeping your plates warm.
drain some of the juice into another pan to make gravy (yes you`ll have to use ready made gravy granules for this).
then just plate up :)

it really is Simple no-frills cooking, but it`s my favorite meal!

I'm with you on that Uncle Bob! Add a side of pinto beans and you've got a GREAT meal!

I forgot to mention...I want them (all greens) served in a bowl with plenty of pot-likker...After the greens are gone...you can crumble up cornbread in the pot-likker...or my favorite....just pick up the bowl and drink it!!! Let the juice run down off your chin where you promptly wipe it on your sleeve:ermm:...then you sit back and say Aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!:cool:

:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom