"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SI
Posts: 5
Cooking spaghetti squash

I try to eat as healthy as I can and I'm not one with weight issues, so I can eat as I wish. I would like to eat more veggies in general. So, I thought to try some spaghetti squash.

Anyone tried it? If so, how did you cook it? I'm planning to shave it with my fork and just drizzle is with olive oil and maybe some vinegar topped with feta cheese, oregano and pepper/salt when done baking.

Being that I haven't tried it before, does it bake quite soft? And is it a bland veggie that requires a lot of seasoning? How do you suggest I try it? I was thinking to have it as a side dish to my salmon or flounder.

__________________

Baker4020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker4020 View Post
I try to eat as healthy as I can and I'm not one with weight issues, so I can eat as I wish. I would like to eat more veggies in general. So, I thought to try some spaghetti squash.

Anyone tried it? Many times If so, how did you cook it? It's baked or steamed I'm planning to shave it with my fork and just drizzle is with olive oil and maybe some vinegar topped with feta cheese, oregano and pepper/salt when done baking.

Being that I haven't tried it before, does it bake quite soft? Yes And is it a bland veggie that requires a lot of seasoning? Yes How do you suggest I try it? Google "spaghetti squash recipes" and find a recipe that appeals to you. We don't know your tastes. I was thinking to have it as a side dish to my salmon or flounder.
We've eaten it in Italian dishes, Mexican dishes and other ways. As above, it's fairly bland and can be adapted to any flavor profile.
__________________

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,446
If you like the taste of spaghetti squash, then many recipes will work. If you don't care for it, no recipes will work...

We keep it simple. I cut it in half, bake it, cut side down for an hour at 325, until soft. Then I scrape it out and saute it in a frying pan with garlic, salt and pepper. A bit of grated Parmesan cheese and Bob's your uncle...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,014
I bake, scrape, and throw spaghetti sauce and parm on it.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 10,058
Similar to Rock.....I cut them in half, scrape the seeds out with a spoon, and bake the halves flesh side down on a baking sheet for about 40 minutes at 350F. When cool enough to handle, I scrape the flesh with a couple of forks into strands, put it in a pan, add a little s and p, olive oil, garlic, and parmesan.....mix, and sauté for a few minutes. Delish.

I've also topped with marinara sauce and that's good too, but for me I prefer garlic and parm.

Good luck, and welcome to Discuss Cooking!
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,523
Similar to others I've used it to make Chicken Parm and a sort of Alfredo/Mac n' Cheese.

I'm going to try it next in a Chinese takeout fakeout meal, to replace the rice.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,493
I am planning to make one in my Instantpot maybe next week. I've read it only takes 8-11 minutes in the pressure cooker.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,583
Ive served Eggplant parm on top of a bed of spaghetti squash when I was low carbing it. Usually mix garlic, oil salt. there is a restaurant by me that stuffs it. Ive never been there , but it sure looked good.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,583
Skip the ad and go to about the 2 minute mark.

Pit Stop Spaghetti Squash Video : Food Network
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:21 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Skip the ad and go to about the 2 minute mark.

Pit Stop Spaghetti Squash Video : Food Network
That does look good, and it's vegetarian. I'm going to take a stab at the amounts. Anybody else that watches the video and is interested, please chime in on what you think.

The SS is boiled in that video, but I think I'd steam or roast it just to keep from having the added water. Cool enough to handle and fork out the strands. I usually clean out the seeds before cooking, but he didn't so they needed to be discarded. For the rest, I'm thinking

1/4 cup chopped shallots
1/4 cup (maybe even more cause it looks like a lot to me) chopped garlic
1/2 cup red onion
1/2 cup carrot
1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup red bell
1/2 cup each yellow and zucchini squash
1/2 cup uncooked broccoli (though I think I'd steam it some before)
1/2 cup asapargus

Marinara sauce. He made a basic tomato sauce, let it cook for a bit, then added a generous splash of chianti, a handful of finely grated parm and some fresh basil, then let it cook for a bit more.

Fresh Moz

Fresh tarragon (though I'd use basil since I'm not fond of tarragon)

Saute shallots and garlic until soft. Add red onion, carrot, celery, red bell and saute until softening. Add yellow and zucchini squashes and let cook for a few. Add broccoli and asparagus and saute for a few. Add a bit of salt and pepper. Give it a stir and add a decent sized ladle of marinara, stir. Add maybe a little over half of the spaghetti squash, and he added S and P again. I'd taste at this point for S and P. After it cools a bit, add fresh tarragon (or basil) and another ladle of marinara. Stir. Stuff the spaghetti squash shells, mounding filling up nicely. (It looked pretty packed.) Top each half with a couple of slices of fresh moz and bake until warmed through and cheese is nicely melted (I'm thinking 20 minutes in a 375 oven?). Place a nice ladle of sauce on a plate and set squash half on top.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #11
Cook
 
Flour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 82
I've cooked it in the microwave before also, but still cut it in half, scrape out seeds, and cook only half at a time, usually a smallish one, in a square glass pan with the water to close up the cut gaps, similar to pressure cooker only takes around 10 minutes. I let the first half sit and finish residual cooking on counter, covered, while the other half cooks. While they are doing that, I sautee mushrooms, onions to go with them. Sometimes adding a tvp soaked in veg broth, other veggies I have (baked or sauteed). Sometimes to the mushroom and onion sautee, I will add a touch of sour cream so it is like a stroganoff.
-Something I'll try in the future is to mix the squash with parmesan, bacon bits, seasoning, scoop tablespoonfuls onto a baking pan and crisp those suckers up as an appetizer
Flour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker4020 View Post
I try to eat as healthy as I can and I'm not one with weight issues, so I can eat as I wish. I would like to eat more veggies in general. So, I thought to try some spaghetti squash.

Anyone tried it? If so, how did you cook it? I'm planning to shave it with my fork and just drizzle is with olive oil and maybe some vinegar topped with feta cheese, oregano and pepper/salt when done baking.

Being that I haven't tried it before, does it bake quite soft? And is it a bland veggie that requires a lot of seasoning? How do you suggest I try it? I was thinking to have it as a side dish to my salmon or flounder.
I love it with just butter, salt and pepper. We usually cut in half lengthwise, clean out the guts, then bake it in the oven. The last time we had it, my wife had found a recipe for doing it whole in the crockpot. I think it was just a half cup of water and the squash, then clean the guts after cooking. Tasted fine.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,523
This recipe for leftover spaghetti squash caught my eye.

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/20...reakfast-nests
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
That does look good, and it's vegetarian. I'm going to take a stab at the amounts. Anybody else that watches the video and is interested, please chime in on what you think.

The SS is boiled in that video, but I think I'd steam or roast it just to keep from having the added water. Cool enough to handle and fork out the strands. I usually clean out the seeds before cooking, but he didn't so they needed to be discarded. For the rest, I'm thinking

1/4 cup chopped shallots
1/4 cup (maybe even more cause it looks like a lot to me) chopped garlic
1/2 cup red onion
1/2 cup carrot
1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup red bell
1/2 cup each yellow and zucchini squash
1/2 cup uncooked broccoli (though I think I'd steam it some before)
1/2 cup asapargus

Marinara sauce. He made a basic tomato sauce, let it cook for a bit, then added a generous splash of chianti, a handful of finely grated parm and some fresh basil, then let it cook for a bit more.

Fresh Moz

Fresh tarragon (though I'd use basil since I'm not fond of tarragon)

Saute shallots and garlic until soft. Add red onion, carrot, celery, red bell and saute until softening. Add yellow and zucchini squashes and let cook for a few. Add broccoli and asparagus and saute for a few. Add a bit of salt and pepper. Give it a stir and add a decent sized ladle of marinara, stir. Add maybe a little over half of the spaghetti squash, and he added S and P again. I'd taste at this point for S and P. After it cools a bit, add fresh tarragon (or basil) and another ladle of marinara. Stir. Stuff the spaghetti squash shells, mounding filling up nicely. (It looked pretty packed.) Top each half with a couple of slices of fresh moz and bake until warmed through and cheese is nicely melted (I'm thinking 20 minutes in a 375 oven?). Place a nice ladle of sauce on a plate and set squash half on top.
looks pretty close to me.
I never tried it, or tried to make it, but its on my list of things to do. The place is about 45 minutes from where i live. Ive been meaning to stop by and try it. One day
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:27 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
I love all kinds of squash but I hate the texture of spaghetti squash. Too stringy for me.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I love all kinds of squash but I hate the texture of spaghetti squash. Too stringy for me.
Stringy is the whole idea. The strings resemble spaghetti and are used to replace the pasta carbs.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,366
We're going to give Larry's Pit Stop spaghetti squash a try next week. Just picked up all the veges.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
We're going to give Larry's Pit Stop spaghetti squash a try next week. Just picked up all the veges.
It does sound interesting.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Stringy is the whole idea. The strings resemble spaghetti and are used to replace the pasta carbs.
Still hate the texture. But then, I detest spaghetti...perhaps that has something to do with it?
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #20
Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Skip the ad and go to about the 2 minute mark.

Pit Stop Spaghetti Squash Video : Food Network
wow! I mean, just popped in to say how mouthwatering!! (too bad I don't do dairy anymore though, that cheese topping. ok, enough! I'll find a substitute one day) Great spagetti squash recipe though!
__________________

mcrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cook, cooking, spaghetti, squash

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×