Cooking Vegetables and not losing nutrients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmb88886

Assistant Cook
So its widely known that if you steam vegetables too long or boil them at all or too long, you start to lose some of the nutrients and benefits, and I think if I'm not mistaken out into the water.

I've always wondered, if you boil them for a long time in the form of a braise or in soup, since you're still drinking/eating the water that it was cooked in, does that mean you didn't lose all those benefits?

I hope that makes sense.

Makes sense to me!! ~~ In my South we sop/slurp it (pot likker) up with cornbread, or biscuits, light bread, french bread, etc. Sometimes we just pick up the bowl and drink it down!!! :LOL:

Alton Brown says that some foods require cooking to release nutrients that would not otherwise be accessible because of the nature of the cell walls of the foods. So cooking does not necessarily destroy the nutrients. Having said that, I think some of the nutrients wil be destroyed and not just transfered to the liquid. But, hey, it's still flavorful liquid so have at it.

>>does that mean you didn't lose all those benefits?

that would be a yes, a no, and a possibly.

it depends on which "nutrients" you're talking about. some are water soluble, some are destroyed by heat (any heat - take your pick...) some lose 110% of their potency in a matter of hours just sitting on the counter top.

now, if you're referring to the waterless cookware claims, that presents a fourth possibility: it's all BS.

If you are making veggies in a soup or casserole where you'll be eating the broth you still get the nutrients. Otherwise it would be best to steam or grill them. Minerals and proteins are not destroyed by heat but some vitamins are. Mainly vit C so add a splash of lemon or chopped fresh parsley at the end of cooking or eat some Vit C rich fruit and veg in a raw state to get the Vit C your body needs.
Cook veggies for the shortest time possible to retain more nutrients.

Last edited:
What interests me is that I have to steer clear of vitamin D and things with Oxalates.
I am not allowed green bell peppers but red ones are okay, the reverse appears to apply to the tomato?

What interests me is that I have to steer clear of vitamin D and things with Oxalates.
I am not allowed green bell peppers but red ones are okay, the reverse appears to apply to the tomato?
Bolas, my husband cannot eat green bell peppers either .. he isn't allergic or anything, but they give him terrible gas. Then he learned that most green peppers are just that; GREEN. Not ripe. Now I buy red or yellow or orange bell peppers, and he roasts and peels them, I freeze them.

Bolas, my husband cannot eat green bell peppers either .. he isn't allergic or anything, but they give him terrible gas. Then he learned that most green peppers are just that; GREEN. Not ripe. Now I buy red or yellow or orange bell peppers, and he roasts and peels them, I freeze them.

I can't go anywhere near a green bell pepper either, I get terrible stomach ache!

Another good way to get more nutrients out of your veg is to add the peelings to your stock when making soup. Boil for 30 mins and remove. Then add your veggies. Just make sure your vegetables are clean when you peel them.

Back
Top Bottom