Cooking with seaweed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanwingen

Cook
any seaweed experts out there?
where can I find good recipes? whats the best kind?
any good web site?

Hi vanwingen,

You and others will probably come looking for your post in the seafood section about seaweed, which was very similar to this one. By absolute mistake I accidentally delated it. I was attempting to merge the two threads about seaweed that you started together into one thread in the seafood section and in my newbie site helper-ness I aaccidentally delated the entire thread (and everyone else's) posts in the thread in the seafood area of the site.

I really and truly apologize for this awful mistake on my part. I have asked the other admins/helpers for help and we will see what can be done about recovering the lost post. Again, I am totally sorry.

Last edited:
We do apologize vanwingen, and we are working on getting that thread back. It was an honest mistake, and Piccolina feels bad about it - but we are working on it.

find seaweed

wrap a pig up in it.

dig hole, fill with smoking hot stones.

throw pig in.

cover with more seaweed.

wait. have some drinks and appetizers (about 8 hours' worth)

uncover pig and eat.

I haven't cooked to much with seaweed, or had a lot of experience eating it, I've used agar-agar a fair bit in place of traditional gelatin in some dessert recipes - it works great.

I like the Japanese style of thinly slicing strips of seaweed or using seaweed flakes sprinkled over top or rice, noodles, soup, etc. It gives a subtle, natrual green and yet pleasantly salty taste to whatever it's added to.

There are some neat recipes including one for seaweed bread, and a salad which largely resembles Waldorf salad made with Irish moss on this page:
http://seagrant.gso.uri.edu/factsheets/seaweed.html

This site also has recipes, as well as some info on different types of seaweed:
http://www.seaweed.net/recipies.html

(Vanwingen. I just have to say again that I apologize for accidentally deleting your other post today.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom