"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2021, 11:18 AM   #1
Certified/Certifiable

Crispy Homemade Hashbrown Potatoes

Most people use russets to make their hash browns, and they work great. I prefer the flavor of Yukon Gold potatoes.

But they're waxy, and your hash browns will come out like glue.; is the normal response,

This is true, if you don't prep them carefully. It's also true of russet, white, or red rose, any kind of potato. Really good has browns require a bit of work but are delicious. I made them for the grandkids today. It was hard because I can't eat potatoes, and they looked, and smelled great. Here's the secret to great, crispy, well flavored potatoes; remove the starch, and water.

First, peel and wash them. Grate them on the coarse side of your box grater into a large bowl. Fill the bowl 3/4 full of water, and massage the shredded potato for about 30 seconds. Drain. Repeat the washing 2 to 3 times, until the water is clear after messaging the potato shreds. You have now removed most of the starch, the component that creates that pasty texture.

Pour the potatoes and water into a wire mesh strainer. give the a final rinse nder cold, running water. Let drain for 5 minutes. Dump the spuds back into the empty, dry bowl, and squeeze fist-fulls to get rid of more water. Por water out. Repeat. Water will both cause spatters with the hot oil, and prevent the potato from crisping.

Add a half tsp. of salt to the potatoes, both to season them, and to draw out more water. Finally, use a paper towel, or three to absorb as much liquids from the potatoes as is possible. Heat 2 tbs. cooking oil in an even heating skillet, over medium-high heat. When hot, lace 3 heaping tbsp., of potato into your pan, flattening to a 14" thickness, and shaping round, Fry without touching until you can see the sides just starting to brown (about 2 minutes). Flip and brown the other side. Flip one more time, and cook for 1 minute more.

Serve with bacon, sausage, or corned beef hash, and a fried egg. Condiments are your choice.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Sounds good Chief. I'm guessing that "flattening to a 14" thickness" is a typo and it should be 1/4" thickness.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:52 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

BTW, apparently you can save the starchy water from washing the potatoes. The starch will settle to the bottom and you pour off the clear liquid and you can use the potato starch for thickening gravies, etc.,
Old 07-18-2021, 04:02 PM   #4
Senior Cook

A low-fat method. Thin-skinned potatoes (Yukon Gold) don't need to be peeled. Grate coarsely or shred on a mandoline. Steam in a basket until tender. Let drain and dry. Spray a sheet pan with oil and spread the potatoes, then give them a spray of oil and a sprinkle of kosher salt.

Roast at 425°F until browned. Turn if necessary. Serve hot.

Bitser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:16 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Thanks Chief..Now I don't have to go to Waffle House.
Seriously I have never been able to get the water out before
which seems to be very important.
BoracayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:01 PM   #6
Certified/Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitser View Post
A low-fat method. Thin-skinned potatoes (Yukon Gold) don't need to be peeled. Grate coarsely or shred on a mandoline. Steam in a basket until tender. Let drain and dry. Spray a sheet pan with oil and spread the potatoes, then give them a spray of oil and a sprinkle of kosher salt.

Roast at 425°F until browned. Turn if necessary. Serve hot.
Your method is especially useful if cooking for a crowd, as the potatoes can be spred in half sheet pans. This allows you to make a lot of hash browns.
It works for corned beef hash as well.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 07-21-2021, 03:44 AM   #7
Head Chef

I usually pan-fry diced potatoes, onions, and peppers, but when hankering for hash browns, using a dishcloth to wring out whole raw grated russets is good enough for me.

"Recipes don’t have to be followed EXACTLY and creative diversions can taste great! But too much diversion and you have ice cream in your broccoli." Mike Israetel
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:50 PM   #8
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I LOVE hash browns and over the years have tried a number of methods. Frankly, now I buy dehydrated shredded potatoes and rehydrate them, rinsing a time or two just before cooking. The texture is better and they crisp up nicely without using a lot of fat.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:58 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Hash browns are a breakfast food for me though I know they needn't be limited to breakfast. I decided some time ago that I don't care to spend the time to make hash browns in the morning.

Here's what I do. Defrost some frozen Tater Tots in the microwave, Mash them into a hot CI skillet with melted butter, brown until nice and crispy, flip and repeat. Viola!
Old 07-21-2021, 04:13 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Hash browns are a breakfast food for me though I know they needn't be limited to breakfast. I decided some time ago that I don't care to spend the time to make hash browns in the morning.

Here's what I do. Defrost some frozen Tater Tots in the microwave, Mash them into a hot CI skillet with melted butter, brown until nice and crispy, flip and repeat. Viola!
+1, although we like cubed potatoes for hash browns, so we get these. We often add sautéed onions and bell peppers to them, too.

Name:   images%20(17).jpeg
Views: 109
Size:  12.5 KB
Old 07-21-2021, 04:43 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Around here, fried up cubed potatoes are called home fries. When the potatoes have been shredded before frying, then they are called hash browns.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:12 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
+1, although we like cubed potatoes for hash browns, so we get these. We often add sautéed onions and bell peppers to them, too.
Attachment 47870
I use the Tots because I like them as a side dish in lieu of fries.

I make home fries from scratch. Much easier than hash browns.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:07 PM   #13
Senior Cook

The salting, soaking, and draining, followed by a squeeze in a dishtowel, is part of the drill for making latkes, a traditional holiday dish: kosher hashbrowns. They are often accompanied by applesauce.

The old-time method is to fry them in schmaltz: chicken fat. I keep a wee tub of schmaltz in the freezer, just in case I get the urge.

Old 07-24-2021, 05:29 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Around here, fried up cubed potatoes are called home fries. When the potatoes have been shredded before frying, then they are called hash browns.
That's what I learned. Had some this morning.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:07 AM   #15
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoracayB View Post
Thanks Chief..Now I don't have to go to Waffle House.
Seriously I have never been able to get the water out before
which seems to be very important.
No, there is still a need to go to Waffle House...
Old 07-25-2021, 08:12 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
No, there is still a need to go to Waffle House...
Yup - when you want someone else to do the cooking! And of course, watching the cooks do the Diner Dance is pretty entertaining
Old 07-25-2021, 11:35 AM   #17
Certified/Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
And when you cut the potatoes into rounds, and fry them in butter, or bacon fat, we called it American fries, great with perch fillets and catsup in fish sandwiches while camping, and fishing.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
And when you cut the potatoes into rounds, and fry them in butter, or bacon fat, we called it American fries, great with perch fillets and catsup in fish sandwiches while camping, and fishing.

At my house we call those home fries. "Do you want square or round home fries?"
Old 07-28-2021, 04:01 PM   #19
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

All this Hashbrown talk requires this: 
Name:   kethup_1.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  3.7 KB
Old 07-28-2021, 06:22 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
All this Hashbrown talk requires this: Attachment 47990
++++1!
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking oil, homemade, pepper, potato, potatoes, recipe, salt, water, yokon gold potatoes

« Sweet potato fries | - »
Crispy Homemade Hashbrown Potatoes Most people use russets to make their hash browns, and they work great. I prefer the flavor of Yukon Gold potatoes. But they're waxy, and your hash browns will come out like glue.; is the normal response, This is true, if you don't prep them carefully. It's also true of russet, white, or red rose, any kind of potato. Really good has browns require a bit of work but are delicious. I made them for the grandkids today. It was hard because I can't eat potatoes, and they looked, and smelled great. Here's the secret to great, crispy, well flavored potatoes; remove the starch, and water. First, peel and wash them. Grate them on the coarse side of your box grater into a large bowl. Fill the bowl 3/4 full of water, and massage the shredded potato for about 30 seconds. Drain. Repeat the washing 2 to 3 times, until the water is clear after messaging the potato shreds. You have now removed most of the starch, the component that creates that pasty texture. Pour the potatoes and water into a wire mesh strainer. give the a final rinse nder cold, running water. Let drain for 5 minutes. Dump the spuds back into the empty, dry bowl, and squeeze fist-fulls to get rid of more water. Por water out. Repeat. Water will both cause spatters with the hot oil, and prevent the potato from crisping. Add a half tsp. of salt to the potatoes, both to season them, and to draw out more water. Finally, use a paper towel, or three to absorb as much liquids from the potatoes as is possible. Heat 2 tbs. cooking oil in an even heating skillet, over medium-high heat. When hot, lace 3 heaping tbsp., of potato into your pan, flattening to a 14" thickness, and shaping round, Fry without touching until you can see the sides just starting to brown (about 2 minutes). Flip and brown the other side. Flip one more time, and cook for 1 minute more. Serve with bacon, sausage, or corned beef hash, and a fried egg. Condiments are your choice. Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews