Cucumber Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I've got 2 large cucumbers sitting on my counter. Seems like I'm getting one at least every other day, so many more to come. I've been giving some away but I'd like to come up with some different recipes to reach for besides putting them on salads or mix with a vinegar solution. Any ideas? These are your regular kind of cucumbers you purchase at the store.....not the pickling or the seedless.

Have you ever tried frying them like you would green tomatoes? Tastes pretty good!! A cool cucumber soup is very refreshing on a summer day too.

An appy I like, run a fork though the skin, to make stripes, prepare a crab (or any seafood - shrimp, salmon, tuna) salad, cut the cukes in chunks, hollow out a bit of the inside and stuff with the crab salad.

Make a Taziki (can never spell it) sauce, (Greek) for falafels, or sammys - add the cukes to yogurt, fresh dill weed, and diced red onions.

Last edited:
Greek Cucumber Salad

1 cup cucumber diced
1 cup tomato chopped
3/4 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup kalamata olives sliced
3-6 scallions slices
handful of parsley chopped
juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic minced
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 tablespoons EVOO
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
toasted pita bread torn (optional)
feta cheese to crumble on top (optional)

Combine the cuckes, tomato, chickpeas, olives, scallions, and parsley in a bowl.

Whisk lemon juice, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Drizzle EVOO into lemon mixture while whisking. Stir in mint. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Toss salad with vinaigrette and toasted pita and feta (if using). Serve at room temp.

GB said:
Greek Cucumber Salad

1 cup cucumber diced
1 cup tomato chopped
3/4 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup kalamata olives sliced
3-6 scallions slices
handful of parsley chopped
juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic minced
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 tablespoons EVOO
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
toasted pita bread torn (optional)
feta cheese to crumble on top (optional)

Combine the cuckes, tomato, chickpeas, olives, scallions, and parsley in a bowl.

Whisk lemon juice, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Drizzle EVOO into lemon mixture while whisking. Stir in mint. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Toss salad with vinaigrette and toasted pita and feta (if using). Serve at room temp.

This sounds delish, GB. Copied and saved. Thank you.

It is one if my favorites Mish. I hope you like it as much as I do. This is one of Kitchenelfs favorites also.

Wow! Thanks everyone for your suggestions.....they sound wonderful. GB, I've never had a chickpea so this one will be interesting. Can you describe the flavor of a chickpea?

I do not know of anything else that tastes anything even close to a chickpea. All I can tell you is that they are nutritious and absolutely delicious!

a chickpea is a garbanzo bean.

Also, as to the cool cuke soup, there are so many recipes out there and I usually wing it!
Usually, I'll cook some green onions and sliced/peeled cukes in butter, and then when they're really soft, I'll add flour to make a roux. Then, add chicken broth and let simmer. Then, let it cool down, and you can either push through a seive or use a stick blender. Either way, you don't want chunks. Then, add cream. Chill and serve with a dollop of sour cream and a fresh cuke slice on top.

Last edited:
SizzlininIN said:
Wow! Thanks everyone for your suggestions.....they sound wonderful. GB, I've never had a chickpea so this one will be interesting. Can you describe the flavor of a chickpea?

Ever have hummos? That's chickpea spread. Also called "garbanzo bean."

cpeas2.jpg

jennyema said:
Ever have hummos? That's chickpea spread. Also called "garbanzo bean."

cpeas2.jpg

Can't say that I have. Its only been in the last few years that I've ventured out of my safety box and started trying new things. Also, trying old things I never liked in the past. I'm surprised at all the things I'd been missing out on and the things I like now that I didn't use to like or think I liked. I'm going to have to try these though.

I buy them canned Sizz. I find that much easier than dried. Just open the can and pour then into a collander then rinse with water.

If you want to try them to see if you like them you can usually find them at salad bars.

Absolutely try some hummus! With pita bread or crackers.

I live on the stuff. Pita spread with hummus and stuffed with sliced cukes
would be good.

I like Cedar's brand, but there are others too. Available in any grocery store.

GB said:
It is one if my favorites Mish. I hope you like it as much as I do. This is one of Kitchenelfs favorites also.

GB, I took one look and I knew, I will have to make this one. This would be my pick for recipe of the month.

Chickpeas are delightful, sizz. When I go to a salad bar, I add some to cottage cheese, beets, & tomatoes. Give them a try.

A cuke and tomato salad is yummy with red onions and a vinaigrette - as a side or on its own.

Hope it's okay to ask a question re chickpeas here, since it was brought up. Some recipes call for rinsing them. Should one rinse canned chickpeas? TIA.

And, am I correct is assuming hot house cukes are seedless?

Last edited:
I usually do rinse the canned chickpeas Mish, but it depends on what you are making. If they are going into something that needs to be thickened then not rising them can add some thickening power.

Back
Top Bottom