Dehydrating Mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The owner's manual for your dehydrator should specify how to prepare foods to be dehydrated. If you don't have it, you should be able to download a copy from the manufacturer's website.

Andy, I'm not sure if home dehydrators, like home freezers, work the same as commercial equipment. I wouldn't assume that you'd get the same results.

Whole mushrooms will dry fine if well ventilated. I have never used a dehydrator for them. Pieces of mushroom tend to rehydrate more easily than whole mushrooms.

Last edited:
My concern was the length of time it would take. Thanks Andy, I do realize they can do whole ones, I often buy them.

Because the sizes vary and I dont want' to have to keep turning to see what's done and what's not and taking out a few at a time - I figure it best to have all the same size?

You're right GG, brain fart, didn't think. I'll find it (I hope).

1/4 inch will be fine. Depending on your dehydrator, your humidity in the air, and the thickness, they will take 12 hours to 3 days....but you can't over dry them, so let it run and check on them a couple times a day.

1/4 inch will be fine. Depending on your dehydrator, your humidity in the air, and the thickness, they will take 12 hours to 3 days....but you can't over dry them, so let it run and check on them a couple times a day.

What she said. Im constantly drying mushrooms in my dehydrator. Some pieces and stems, some slices , some whole.

Thanks guys, I appreciate! Nice to know it will take that long, guess I should be surprised considering their make up. I'll pretty much slice them, not sure what I would do with whole mushrooms. They are not flat shiitaki, they are fat crimini.

I was supposed to slice them up this afternoon but.... life got in the way.

better get to them soon! Good job to do while watching TV.

Yep, that sounds just fine to me.
I´m fortunate in having a tropical climate, so I don´t really have to worry about how long they take to dry. It´s usually 3-4 days in the kitchen, and an hour or so in the tropical sun to finish them off.
Plenty of ventilation seems to be the key.

Back
Top Bottom