Dependence on onions!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, I forgot to tell you -- I sometimes use leeks instead of onions in my recipes that calls for onions because they are of the same family and DH is not allergic to it.

And yes, buckytom -- I used to experiment with my children too when they were living with us, especially if I have a dinner party in two weeks time or something. I will plan my menu and try each recipe every other day or so and if I got good kudos, I put a check mark beside the menu or else I try another one. Nowadays I only have DH to try my experiments with...:LOL: so usually when I am going to have a party, I only cook my tried and tested recipes.:chef:

You know, I didn't know someone could be allergic to onions, now I do. Once I knew a guy and he said he was allergic to mushrooms, but, I think he just didn't like them. I maybe need to keep more of an open mind....
If it makes you sick in any way, just don't eat it....listen to your body.

They don't make onion ice cream for a reason!
Me, however, I like onions in most of my savory stews and soups and some salads too.

Hey all!! Thanks so much for your replies. You've given me a LOT to think about!!
I definitely know what the problem with celery is.. they bother me a lot too lol. It's similar to the red pepper thing.. their taste gets into everything else and they're very distracting! I love celery sometimes, but I've had it in some pasta sauces and it's been pretty awful!
Also, I remember someone telling me to try and cook with a leek because it wouldn't bother me, so I tried it and it didn't leave that horrible onion-taste anywhere, which was lovely. I still am convinced that green onion has the same effect, as the flavor sticks around for almost hours after I eat anything with them in it.

So it seems pretty unanimous that MOST dishes would have onion in them! This is just what I don't understand. Why is it the "norm" for them to be there? I know they're great for you, but I just can't make myself like them.
I remember when it started, too! When I was young (13ish) I used to love French onion soup. Then one day, I got that sick taste in my mouth after I ate it, and since then everything I have not been able to eat things with onion. Like, I can eat them (I don't want to be rude ;) ) but I always regret it after I finish. Sigh. Maybe when I'm pregnant one day I'll begin to like them again, so I can stop fighting all the brilliant cooks out there!!

sahd0w,
I completely understand!!
I used to put onions into most of my dinners, but somehow around the time I turned 40, my insides all changed, and I have a huge list of what I cannot eat anymore (I get really sick) Onions are a huge no-no now, and I've had to recreate all my recipes!
I do put the bulbs from green onions into meals that need the onion taste, as they don't affect me, but it's horrible when I want to make something and the first thing in the recipe is to do something with a whole onion....!

Won't tell u how my fiance ate an onion like an apple at dinner last nite then..oops just did hahahaha - and yes i am not joking :S :D :D

I love the flavour, i just dont like to bite a piece of onion thats all. :)

Won't tell u how my fiance ate an onion like an apple at dinner last nite then..oops just did hahahaha - and yes i am not joking :S :D :D

That sounds awful =((((

I eat tomatoes raw, and I have a friend who hates them as much as I hate onions :-p
At least with tomatoes I don't bother everybody with terrible breath afterward ;)

I remember when Vidalias first came on the market, that was just what they suggested. That they were sweet enough to eat like an apple.

They sell bottled onion juice (spice aisle). Have you thought about trying that? As you said about grated onions, it would at least add the flavor.

:)Barbara

Well, who knew? I will look for it--thanks! Onion juice? Blech, but it will solve the problem, sounds like.

I remember when Vidalias first came on the market, that was just what they suggested. That they were sweet enough to eat like an apple.
Another option if it is just the texture you don't like is powdered onion. I use it very rarely, generally in homeade spice mixtures and rubs.

I love onions and they are definitely a necessity in my cooking. It wasn't always that way but I found that the food just tastes much better with them. For one, I could never imagine a red sauce that didn't start with sauted onions and garlic. Not much of what I now cook doesn't have onions. I've just matured and grown to like the taste the more I work with food and can tell when I've not added enough. I don't find them over powering. I find them complimentary.

I don't think I could cook without onions. My mother never used onions much, and garlic less, and her food was always kind of bland. But when I got married, by Cajun MIL taught me how to season food, and what a difference it made!
Still, if you don't like'em, you don't like'em. We're all different.

And wouldn't it be a boring world if we were all alike?

Ok, ok I admit I'm the minority. I'll just have to deal with the fact that other people like onions. I think I can live with it ;)

This thread did reind me than when cooking for fussy children when I was a nanny I would magimix/food process onion/carrots/celery to go in pretty much everything, no that no vegetable matter was truely detectable.....might work for some who are put of the texture and idea more than the taste....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom