Do you have an onion preference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
I like the Vidalia sweet onion the most, followed by the red onion, tho I do use other onions too. :chef:

I use mostly yellow onions. Also a lot of scallions and shallots. Occasionally some leeks and chives. I use red onions in salads - green and potato. In the summer I grill vidalias.

It depends on what I'm making. I like sweet onions, red onions, scallions. If I could find them easily, I would use Maui onions!

It depends on my mood/recipe. I always have shallots, red onions, yellow onions, green onions/scallions on hand. When I can get them for a good price, I buy leeks and freeze them whole for soups, quiche, etc.

Mmmm onions...

I don't discriminate when it comes to onions! I do have a favorite, though: Red. I'm eating one right now on my Cajun Turkey sandwich. Who cares about my breath at work?

Yellow storage onions is what I tend to buy, but it really depends on what I am cooking.

For raw application, I like red or green onions. For cooking, I like yellow or white.

Definitely the sweets; Vidalias, Mayans, the one that has just numbers on it, but looks like the other two. I'm not a big raw onon eater, so these work well on my salads, too.
I buy a bag of the small yellow onions if I am doing a roast so I can leave them whole.

I agree that it depends on what I'm making. I try to keep several varieties of onion (along with shallots) in my pantry at all times.

Regular yellow onions are used most. Sweet onions like Vidalias are used when onions predominate in a recipe, since husband isn't a strong onion fan. I also enjoy them raw on tacos, enchiladas, burgers, etc. Same goes for red onions - great raw on burgers or sauteed into my Kale/Feta/Pasta dish. Shallots I use all over the place.

So most of the time I have a sack of regular yellow onions, some Vidalias, some reds, shallots, scallions (& tons of garlic) on hand at all times. Can you tell that I love alliums?

When available...Vidalia, Texas 1015, Walla Walla, Oso. The rest of the time plain yellow onions. Sometimes a sweet red. Green onions always!

We use all varieties, just depends on what the recipe calls for or what taste you are going for in the onion. Some of our favorites are Vidalia, red, and green onions.

Yes, I have an onion preference. I prefer not to eat them, because they give my BIG TIME agida! :sick:

Guess I'm on the band wagon with a lot of the others.
Love Vidalia's when we can get them, also use a lot of reds and scallions for color and contrast. But when in Maui.....mmmmm.......

Depends on what you are doing with it. For basic seasoning, good old yellow onion is hard to beat. Sweets are nice but not always strong enough. For salads.. green onion or red onion..

cucumbers and onions, on a hamburger etc. a sweet onion.

On ham and beans, yellow onion, raw..

I go for the sweets first for general cooking. Specific recipes that call for red or something else will get them.

Same here on the sweet onion fancy! I dislike the stronger onions and have sine I was a kid. Leeks are my favorite allium for cooking in their own right while garlic works its way into many of my dishes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom