Do you have these mushrooms in your area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cool
but they are only good for two or three cycles of growing. no?

i will need to figure out how to grow it in a bucket.. and how to collect all the matrials

If it were me, I would probably want to try the kit first and find out if that even worked well for me. That way I could just throw away the old kit when it was done, if it didn't work well. I wouldn't have invested the time and money on some equipment that I probably wouldn't ever use again. If the kit worked well, I would decide if I wanted to assemble the materials to put the system together myself.

taxy - that box I pictured is all you need. You cut out a big square in the front of the box, make a slit in the plastic liner that you see, and then start spritzing with water (about 3 times a day?) That's it! The spores are already in the compost wood shavings packed in the bag. Nothing else to buy, get, do - other than spritzing.

Then one day you realize something is growing! Really neat. If you can't find them in the nurseries, you can get them on line. But they are not cheap, be forwarned. But tasty and fun - gotta try everything at least once, no?

The ready to go kits are great. Very simple, easy to follow instructions, and only require daily misting. I find the oyster mushrooms to be easiest, although the shiitake logs are good too. I also did Button mushrooms, which was a little more involved, cause you had to mix the soil to aaa certain dampness.... Ive moved on to inoculating my own logs ( for shiitakes), inoculating toilet paper rolls and buckets with holes in them for the oysters, and now I have an out door bed of aaa few other varieties ( just picked wine cap mushrooms today). Benefit about growing them outdoors, is they grow where no other veggie crop can grow ( shady, damp..). Negative thin about outdoors, is they can get buggy.

taxy - that box I pictured is all you need. You cut out a big square in the front of the box, make a slit in the plastic liner that you see, and then start spritzing with water (about 3 times a day?) That's it! The spores are already in the compost wood shavings packed in the bag. Nothing else to buy, get, do - other than spritzing.

Then one day you realize something is growing! Really neat. If you can't find them in the nurseries, you can get them on line. But they are not cheap, be forwarned. But tasty and fun - gotta try everything at least once, no?

That was the point of my post. No investment in special equipment to find out if it works well in the available environment.

LOL... The available environment is your house taxy!

if after you are finished with the kit - everything is compostable.

if you want to really get into it - buy a 10$ bucket at Rona - get some good sawdust, order some spores - and you're in business. Some good video's on Youtube. No big fancy equipment to buy.

LOL... The available environment is your house taxy!

if after you are finished with the kit - everything is compostable.

if you want to really get into it - buy a 10$ bucket at Rona - get some good sawdust, order some spores - and you're in business. Some good video's on Youtube. No big fancy equipment to buy.
Well yeah, one does this at home. Does it work better in a basement? Is humidity a factor? Temperature?

If the temperature is too hot or the air is too dry or whatever, that makes it not work well, do you think the plastic bucket is recyclable and will actually get recycled? I know that around here, and in many places, recycling is pretty much a joke. They are just storing most of it when it doesn't actually just end up in landfill. Something compostable sounds good to me. Whether it is composted at home or picked up with garbage, it will eventually decompose into the environment rather than floating around in the oceans for years and wearing down into micro-plastic bits that end up in our food.

LOL... so find a log, use a wooden box, even a heavy cardboard box.

You don't have ANY plastic containers you could recycle?

How about some plant containers?

Actually just buy the kit, yes, your home will be just fine - the instructions with temps and lighting needs are included.

I put mine on a tall shelf that gets indirect sunlight.

Last edited:
Was the kit worth the money in mushrooms produced? Or is it more expensive than just buying the mushrooms at the store?

Was the kit worth the money in mushrooms produced? Or is it more expensive than just buying the mushrooms at the store?
If your looking for the experience, he his are worth the money, but if looking for a deal, financially makes more sense jus to buy the mushrooms. thats my experience, but when you start doing larger operations ( garden beds, large buckets...) then it makes more financial sense.

If your looking for the experience, he his are worth the money, but if looking for a deal, financially makes more sense jus to buy the mushrooms. thats my experience, but when you start doing larger operations ( garden beds, large buckets...) then it makes more financial sense.

That was what I wanted to know.

Is there a way to have slow production of mushrooms, once one has graduated past the kit? I love 'shrooms, but DH dislikes them. He can tolerate a small amount of 'shrooms, but not too often. Often when I buy 'shrooms, they just don't get used. This is why I know about dehydrating them by leaving them to air dry, well ventilated. It was something Rocklobster mentioned. He said that he never stores fresh mushrooms with the plastic wrap. With the wrap, they start to grow stuff or go slimy. With no plastic wrap, they can dry up. (I have had them grow stuff and meld together into a disgusting mess, even in an open paper bag. Now, I know to make sure they are all individually well exposed to the air.) Anyways, if I can just harvest and use a few at a time, that would work well for me.

Mushrooms ( at a least for me) are unpredictable. Nothing, nothing then all of a sudden a bunch pop up. They are opportunistic, just waiting for the right conditions ( moisture, humidity, Light/ no light, temperature ...). and once they feel the time is right, they just pop up, then can go dormant for awhile. Im by now means an expert, but Have grown many types, and in general, I find them to go similarly.

I remove the plastic wrap, dump out the mushrooms, line the little container with paper towel, replace 1/2 the shrooms, paper towel, shrooms and final cover with paper towel.

I too have had them dry in the fridge. Also can wrap them in paper towel and leave in a cupboard.

But I'd rather use the dehydrator for this amount. Don't have room in the fridge to store properly nor even the cupboard. I'm sure they would go off.

Dragn, I pretty much have to leave them on the dining table where I will see them. Otherwise a few weeks later I get an unpleasant surprise.

no problem

Attachments

• msg423710037-62326.jpg
    msg423710037-62326.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 24
Took 5 days from when I noticed a couple of black dots inside the plastic X. Then a day later they were very visible, by that afternoon tbey were sticking out (as pictured)
Been big now for over a day so will chop them off. [emoji1]20220625_151017.jpg20220623_175552.jpg

Back
Top Bottom