Don't Put Tomatoes In The Fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for that information. I don't usually put fresh tomatoes in the fridge but now I know why!

(showing my age) Too bad there are no good tasting tomatoes on the market now.

I know several people who never put fresh corn on the cob in the fridge either. Maybe for the same reason?

Corn is a different animal. The sugars in corn turn to starch (I think that is the reason. It has been a while since i last read about this) which leads to a less sweet product. However, with corn it is completely 100% reversible, so once the corn comes to room temp again it is just fine.

We hide fresh produce in the pantry. Gwen is a vegetarian and none of that is safe when she comes to visit.

With love,
~Cat

Since my Mom forbade me to refrigerate the tomatoes we would bring in from the garden, I've never refrigerated any standard-size tomatoes (Roma and larger). However, I've always put grape or cherry tomatoes from the store into the fridge and there really doesn't seem to be a change in flavor or texture. Does this mean they aren't really from the tomato family? Or have they been hybridized to death? That would kinda freak me out...:ermm:

They were probably transported to supermarket in a refrigerated truck so the damage was already done.

I wonder how long they stay fresh on the counter. I'll have to give this a try, but I really don't have space for anything else on my kitchen counter.

I used to have a hanging basket in my kitchen that I kept mine in taxlady. That way the counters could remain less cluttered, at least in theory :LOL:

I wonder how long they stay fresh on the counter. I'll have to give this a try, but I really don't have space for anything else on my kitchen counter.

I can't say exactly---- maybe a week? Depending. When mine get 'crinkled' they're still good in sauces etc. Rinkdum ditty is great for this----(in the recipe that follows I don't use already cooked tomatoes or sauce but just throw in chopped up tomatoes or cherry tomatoes.)

Rinktum Ditty Recipe - Food.com - 128933

I used to have a hanging basket in my kitchen that I kept mine in taxlady. That way the counters could remain less cluttered, at least in theory :LOL:
Good idea. I have one, somewhere, with three baskets. Good place for bananas too. Now to find a place in the kitchen to hang it. We used to have it hanging in the dining room, not so fond of that.

I can't say exactly---- maybe a week? Depending. When mine get 'crinkled' they're still good in sauces etc. Rinkdum ditty is great for this----(in the recipe that follows I don't use already cooked tomatoes or sauce but just throw in chopped up tomatoes or cherry tomatoes.)

Rinktum Ditty Recipe - Food.com - 128933

That looks like fabulous comfort food! I have a couple of jars of tomatoes left from last year that I would like to use up ... thank you!

That looks like fabulous comfort food! I have a couple of jars of tomatoes left from last year that I would like to use up ... thank you!

I love Rinkum ditty------ I'd almost forgotten about it until this thread popped up. Now, guess what I'll have for dinner or lunch soon? :yum: Got some crinkled cherry tomatoes just begging to be used too.

Another great use for crinkled tomatoes is Salsa Ranchera.
There are many recipes that are too labor intensive for me (I'm lazy) but this one is much easier:

Salsa Ranchera Recipe | Eating Well

You don't have to peel the tomatoes. You can use cherry or plum tomatoes.
It can be frozen, but I think that might make it more watery (but o.k.)

And obviously you can control the heat content by less or more Jalapenos. Or maybe just a shake of Tabasco sauce instead of the chilies.

I use it over scrambled eggs, which is the original intent but I'm sure there are many other ways to re-purpose it.

I bought 3 tomatoes the other day. Ate one. Looking for one for supper tonight. Found 'em in the vegetable crisper. Now, I don't think I put them there. Well, at least a reminder and Explanation why I don't usually do this.

(showing my age) Too bad there are no good tasting tomatoes on the market now.

Depends on where you shop :) The better grocery stores in my area sell unrefrigerated heirloom tomatoes; so does our city's farmers market. Not cheap, but they're available.

I know several people who never put fresh corn on the cob in the fridge either. Maybe for the same reason?

Andy is right about the reason, but growers have bred super-sweet varieties that turn to starch more slowly.

My counter is so messy that another box isn't going to make a difference. I keep tomato on the counter sometimes up to two weeks.

Please don't apologize. I meant it when I said that was one of the nicer things I have been called!

Back
Top Bottom