Dressing up a baked potato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My bro made a big baker last night with the fixins you mentioned, but he was pissed at himself because he forgot to buy some bacon bits at the store.

Bacon, cheese, sour cream and butter!

My best friend likes chili. She worked in a food court restaurant called "One Potato Two" when she was in high school and that's how she came to like chili on her potato.

Is there a bad way to have a potato? Some days I'm in the mood for simple butter and seasoned salt. Sometimes add pepper. Sour cream, cheddar cheese, chili, bacon, broccoli, chives, garlic salt, ranch dressing all have found their way onto a spud in my house.

Timothy said:
Aunt Bea, you always have such neat ideas. In all my life, I've never tried Blue Cheese on a spud. I love spuds, I love Blue Cheese...just never thought to combine them.

I'm trying it! :chef:

Blue cheese on a baked potato is fantastic. You can mash it into a little sour cream or just mash it right into the potato.

I love to drizzle a baked spud with browned garlic butter and sprinkle on some chives. A drizzle of bacon grease mixed into cream cheese and some fresh crumbled bacon is good. Shredded cheddar is pretty tastey on spuds, especially with a little sauteed celery and onion. Crumbled italian sausage, fresh basil and a little parmesian are good mashed into the potato too. I'm also a fan of just a little butter and salt with maybe either some chives or parsley.

I grew a type of spud just for baking this year. I subbed it for the biscuits in biscuits and gravy.:)

A friend of mine does this: she scoops out the potato, mashes the filling with cheese and cooked, crumbled sausage, and then puts it back in the skin OR makes mounds of the potato filling on a greased baking sheet and bakes the "mounds" for about 10 minutes, I don't know at what temp--probably 350. When she does that, she adds the chopped up skin to the mashed up filling. I love these. I don't remember what she calls them, but they are very good, almost like a biscuit.

Last edited:
That sounds very similar to a twice baked potato, CW. You take the potato meat out, mash it up with other ingredients, put it back in and bake a while longer. The crumbled sausage sounds great for this.

My baked potatoes have butter, sour cream and S&P on them 99% of the time. And are cooked on the grill. I've eaten loaded baked potatoes and liked them, but I prefer my spuds pretty basic.

Yes--it is a variation of a 2x baked potato--except when she makes "mounds" of them on the cookie sheet. Those are almost like a biscuit.

I've got some rope sausage to cut and freeze in portions. I'm going to cut some apart and make a sausage stuffed twiced baked tater. As soon as I get some big taters worthy enough.

Twice baked potatoes are fantastic.

I like them with pizza ingredients, pimento cheese or leftover dips.

They are a great musgo concoction!

I really like to bake them until the skins are nice and crispy, and the insides are nice and fluffy. Then I place some butter on them, and top with some shredded cheddar. I also sometimes like butter and sour cream or blue cheese. Bacon is always a nice addition as well.

pac--sometimes she adds roasted garlic when she mashes up the insides or makes "the mounds." I usually do cheese, butter, a bit of milk, and roasted garlic when I make 2x baked potatoes because I do them on impulse, and don't usually have the sausage on hand.

I had a potato this evening, it's the first one i've had in ages. I had mine with camembert cheese. So good when it melts over the potato

Back
Top Bottom