Drying tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I got a bag of tomatoes in my basket from Lufa Farms. I didn't order them, because cooked tomatoes aggravate my arthritis. I have eaten some pesto with sun dried tomato in it and that didn't bother me. I guess that was still raw. I'm wondering about the best way to dry these tomatoes. They are the regular, round ones, not roma or other long or oval tomatoes. I have a toaster oven with a dehydrate function. Any tips? Slices? Quarters? Take out the seeds or leave them?

I usually halve tomatoes, but if they are large (much more than 2"), I would quarter them. I never take out the seeds, but if they seem extremely wet, you might want to squeeze a little out of them. I always place the skin down - less likely to stick to anything, which is also why I don't dry slices - only halved or quartered.

Just remember that unless you dry them completely, they will need to be frozen or they will spoil. That will take 10-12 hours, according to my dehydrator manual.

When I make our oven dried, I slice them about 1/4 inch thick, then toss with dried basil, finely grated Parm R, a tiny bit of salt and pepper, and olive oil, then lay them out on racks over sheet pans, and stick them in the oven at 175 F for about 12 hours. They still don't get totally dry, so we portion them in small bags and freeze.

You can cook them at 200 F, which is as low ad most oven goes, but it's less time and you have to watch them to make sure they don't go too far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am drying them out for the first time right now in a dehydrator. I am looking forward to seeing how they turn out. The directions said to store in plastic bag/container in a dark area. Has anyone tried keeping them in oil in the fridge? That is how we have bought them in the past from Costco but they are expensive.

I am drying them out for the first time right now in a dehydrator. I am looking forward to seeing how they turn out. The directions said to store in plastic bag/container in a dark area. Has anyone tried keeping them in oil in the fridge? That is how we have bought them in the past from Costco but they are expensive.
I have read that there is a risk of botulism, if storing herbs and veg in oil. I have also read that you can mitigate that risk by adding acid, but I don't know how much you would need to add. Commercially prepared might be pressure canned.

When I make our oven dried, I slice them about 1/4 inch thick, then toss with dried basil, finely grated Parm R, a tiny bit of salt and pepper, and olive oil, then lay them out on racks over sheet pans, and stick them in the oven at 175 F for about 12 hours. They still don't get totally dry, so we portion them in small bags and freeze.

You can cook them at 200 F, which is as low ad most oven goes, but it's less time and you have to watch them to make sure they don't go too far.

What do you use them for with the flavour enhancements?

I'll be putting mine in the toaster oven, which has lower temps, when in dehydrator mode. It also runs a fan in that mode. As mentioned, I do not want them to get cooked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lo
What do you use them for with the flavour enhancements?

Pesto using the standard basil, garlic, pine nuts or walnuts, oil, etc, plus adding some of the tomatoes. It's great for bruschetta or mixing with hot pasta for a quick dish. We also chop the tomatoes up some and use them with white wine or chicken broth to make a topping for chicken or fish. Mix them in with shredded cooked chicken, cubed fresh moz, a little EVOO some Parm, hot pasta and maybe a little pasta water for an oey/gooey/stringy cheesy pasta meal.

I hAve to say my favorite of the above is the pesto. I absolutely love it! There's other things we make, just can't remember off top of head. It was originally a recipe and method from a Disney World Resort chef.

And I meant 175, NOT 275. I'm going to report my post and ask somebody to change the temp. The tomatoes will be crispy critters if cooked for thay long at that temp.

Last edited:
I usually bake them till the water evaporates and then freeze them. I also dry them out in a dehydrator and grind them in my bullet machine and make tomato powder. This works fantastic as a flavor enhancer. Making chili, soup, or stews and it doesn't have enough tomato flavor and you don't want to add anymore tomatoes. just add a tbl.or more of powder and wow what a difference. I mix a little in my meatballs, or meatloaf, stuffed cabbage, stuffed peppers, no limits. If you need some tomato juice and have none mix powder with water till you get the strength of juice you need. There are many videos on tomato powder on you tube, I have sprinkled it on chicken before baking, it doesn't over power the chicken but gives it a nice flavor. Try you'll get hooked on it.

Back
Top Bottom