Eggplant & how to prepare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Would love to hear from all of you with your take on Eggplant ?

Firstly, my favorite vegetable is eggplant or aubergine ... I love the fried layers of Baked Eggplant topped with a divine home made tomato sauce and layered like a lasagne and it is called Melanzane di Lecce ... Eggplant of Lecce, Puglia, Italy ... Of course, I also like Aubergine With Tahine and Pasta Norma which translates to Pasta with Eggplant as Norma in Sicilia, is Eggplant. Caponata for an appetiser is nice too ... with a crusty warm bread ...

Kindest. Margi.

Bread, fry, drain. Then single layer of eggplant on a sheet tray, top with sauce, season with favorite herbs and spices if desired, fresh grated romano, parmesan and mozzarella cheeses then under the broiler to melt and brown.

img_1123470_0_5a8474c4a27e02c5e2bf30e1ec239554.jpg

I just made individual eggplant parmesans last night. Just grill or broil two slices per person, a nice slab of tomato, some mozzerella and a few shavings of parmesan. I stacked it all up and topped with some scallion and red pepper, seasonings and baked for about 15 minutes.
I love making eggplant caviar also. Pickled eggplant is my favoriet anti pasti.

I also stuff them by cutting lengthways, and baking for about half an hour with cut side down. Scrape out insides leaving about half an inch of thickness. Chop insides coarsley and saute with onions, garlic, celery, peppers, chopped tomatoes. Then, I let it cool for a few minutes. Add a beaten egg and mix thoroughly. Divede mixture and stuff both egg plant shells, top with cheese of your choice and bake for about half an hour....This is great eaten cold, also.

I could go on.....

Attachments

• DSC00450.jpg
    DSC00450.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 235
Grazie, Muchas Gracías, Danke, Mercì and Many Thanks for such stunning input and photos ... I love Eggplant Parmigiana too ... Melanzane di Lecce is with Bechamel ... a bit different and it is a vegetable lasagne ... with a topping of bechamel ...

WOW ... awesome posts.

Margi.

Eggplant is one of those vegis that I dislike, but enjoy as an ingredient. I am very fond of babaganoush. I like finely chopped eggplant in moussaka. I like very thinly sliced eggplant in lasagna (but not too much). I have also had it in a mixed, grilled, marinated vegi thing from my local Greek grocery store, and it was really good.

You have mentioned some of my favorites too.

Rollatini - as an entree, or as an appetizer with proscuitto and toasted pine nuts.

Eggplant balls. Nice change from meat balls.

Caprese salad with grilled eggplant.

Grilled eggplant pizza - with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella & basil.

I fried some slices of aubergines and some japanese eggplant in oil untill they turned dark brown and sprinkled with salt. They were great!

I like a chinese dish one of local places serves. It is eggplant woked with ground pork,onions and some hoisin sauce.

My other favorite is grilled and then marinated.

Another EP dish I like is stuffed eggplant. I forget the Italian name, but it translates to "Little Shoes" or "Little Slippers."

An Asian dish I like, is stir-fried eggplant and tofu. I have had it at Chinese restaurants, but not made it myself.

I've been on an Eggplant Parmesan kick lately. Unfortunately, Shrek does not like it and I'm finding it difficult to use a whole eggplant for myself.

Does eggplant, uncooked, freeze well? Or should I sauté/roast/grill it first?

I've been on an Eggplant Parmesan kick lately. Unfortunately, Shrek does not like it and I'm finding it difficult to use a whole eggplant for myself.

If you have some smaller broiling dishes or oven proof stuff, you can use up the whole eggplant and make up a few small, single serving batches of eggplant parmesan and freeze before baking. Then, just pop in the oven and bake like you would frozen lasagne...:)

If you have some smaller broiling dishes or oven proof stuff, you can use up the whole eggplant and make up a few small, single serving batches of eggplant parmesan and freeze before baking. Then, just pop in the oven and bake like you would frozen lasagne...:)

Thanks, Rock! Great idea!:)

Don't forget babaganoush. Shrek might even like that. I use it as dip for crudités.

Where do I start!:yum: A light version of parmesan. Light flour coating, fried. Same flour coating, fried and rolled around the stuffing for shell pasta/manicotti. Moussaka. Caponata. Pirogue stuffed with crawfish ettouffe.

I like it fried and then served at room temp. with thick slices of ripe tomato, fresh mozzarella, torn basil leaves and a simple vinaigrette.

It looks nice served family style on a large platter with each item alternating or served individually in a stack with each item alternating topped with a sprig of fresh basil.

Here's my favorite pasta dish:

1 large Eggplant washed and loosely diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 C red wine
4 cloves garlic diced
1/2 c stuffed green olives, diced
3 T capers, diced
1/8 (or more to taste) tsp red pepper flakes
black pepper
olive oil

2 Cups fresh basil (chiffonade), divided

1 Lb pasta

Saute the eggplant in oil until soft. When soft, stir in all other ingredients and 1 cup of the basil. Clap on a lid and cook for 10 minutes. Cook pasta until al dente and drain.

To serve: Using tongs, take one serving of pasta and drop it into the pan of hot sauce. Turn noodles over until coated and then place then in individual serving bowl/plate with a little extra sauce on top. Top with some fresh basil and a little reggiano Parmesan. Repeat for each serving.

Serve this with a simple side salad of mixed greens, sliced radishes and some white beans in a vinaigrette.

Fast and yummy.

Back
Top Bottom