Eggplant meal suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Just got home from vacation and found an abundance of eggplants.
I want to do something new with them, but here is the catch.

Not eggplant parmesan
Not Ratatouille
Must be vegetarian
Preferably not fried if possible.
Must be a main meal.

Thanks in advance, In the mean time Ill scout the internet fro something.

larry

I'll be making an Pasta Eggplant Smoked Mozzarella bake this week, but it's not my own recipe so I can't post it here.

Will also be making a delicious spicy Szechuan Eggplant stirfry this week, but again, can't post it here.

Maybe do web searches using my recipe titles & see what crops up?

Breezy, you can post links to those recipes if they exist on the Net somewhere else. I would love to see the Szechuan stirfry one if you can show the link.

We slice eggplan into rounds, brush with evoo and put it in the oven, lightly brown but not cooked all the way.. In the meantime make a sauce with lemon,butter, evoo,salt and pepper, take two slices, put your favorite cheese in the middle and make a sandwich out of it, then finish baking til cheese melts, take your sauce and drizzle over the eggplant sandwich. We serve with a tossed green salad and garlic bread.
kadesma

I often slice in 1 inch rounds, brush with oil and grill on bbq. When roasted on both sides, top with a slice of tomatoe and some chevre. CLose the lid on grill for a few mins to melt chevre. Serve.

Thinly sliced and grilled eggplant is also wonderful as a layer in lasagna.

Another good use: tofu/eggplant stirfry. I use firm tofu, eggplant (large cubes) loads of fresh garlic and some fresh mushrooms. Add a hadnful of carrots or red peppers for color. Make a sauce of water, tsp of corn starch, a dollop of black bean paste and a little rice wine vinegar. Sear all ingredients and then add sauce to hot pan, tossing to coat and thicken.

Remove from heat and add a sprinkling of sesame oil. Serve with rice. Fast and easy.

similar to using instead of noodles in lasagna like Janet H said, you can also do rollitni(sp?) Thinly sliced, toped with a little tomato sauce and your choice of cheese or cheeses. Roll it up top with more sauce and cheese pack them tightly in a pan to serve cassarole style or looser to serve indivinually as an main or an app. You can add any other meat of veg that you like into the roll.

Greek eggplant salad or what is it name sltan Obalduy (completely made this one up) cannot remember the real name.

eggpant and scrambled eggs

Im not a fan of eggplant but my mom has this egg plant with w/ scrambbled egg thats really good..it's called Tortang Talong (eggplant omelet )

Ingredients :

250 g. of ground lean pork
1 tbsp. of finely minced garlic
1/2 c. of finely chopped onions
3/4 c. of coarsely chopped tomatoes
1 bell pepper, finely chopped
4 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp. of flour
4-5 talong (eggplants)
salt and pepper
cooking oil
Cooking procedure :

Mix together all the ingredients except the eggplants and the cooking oil.
Cook the eggplants (boil, steam, grill or broil) until soft but not mushy. Peel off the skins, leaving the stems intact. Using a fork, flatten the meat of the eggplants. Divide the pork mixture into as many eggplants you prepared. Place the mixture on the flattened eggplants, patting the meat to make sure it is compact.
Heat a skillet or wok. Add about 2 tbsp. of cooking oil and heat until smoking. Carefully slide one stuffed eggplant onto the hot oil. Cook over medium-high heat, about 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Add more cooking oil as you cook a new eggplant.
Serve with catsup.
If you want a really special tortang talong, lay a slice of cheese on the flattened eggplant before adding the pork mixture on top.
Tortang Talong | Home-cooked meals | Home-cooking rocks!

works very well in lasagna as mentioned above, and a fave in our house is caponata. Many great recipes for this savory dish.

I just googled "eggplant stir fry recipe" got lots of results, Tyler Florence was at the top of my search. Didn't really look at them...
man, all this talk about eggplant... I must get some!!!!

I make a dish using grilled eggplant and lentils. Poke a few holes in the eggplant char the skin on the grill let cool remove the char and save the pulp. Cook lentils.

Ingredients: Lentils, Roasted Eggplant, Roasted Garlic, Onion, Ginger paste, Tomato, Dried Chilies, Fresh Chili, Cumin, Cheyenne pepper, Turmeric, Garam Masala, Water, Salt and Pepper.

Cook onion and ginger paste until onion starts to brown. Add tomato and spice mix (Cumin, Cheyenne pepper, Turmeric, Garam Masala). Cook on a low heat until it is a mush and starts to dry out. Add eggplant, garlic, lentils, water, salt and pepper. Cook until reduced while stirring. As you stir breakup eggplant. Serve with rice or bread.

There is a video on my you tube channel.

Here's the Szechuan eggplant dish. I forgot that I had adapted it up the wazoo & made it my own - lol!! Enjoy - it's absolutely delicious, & you can easily make it vegetarian by either leaving the meat out entirely, or subbing a square of cubed tofu in.

Breezy Braised Eggplant, Szechuan Style

(Adapted from Madame Chu’s Chinese Cooking School by Grace Zia Chu)

Ingredients:

1 large eggplant, or several small oriental-type eggplants
2 tablespoons of fermented black beans, soaked in warm water to cover for 20 minutes
1 tablespoon hot Asian chili paste/sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled & minced or grated
4 cloves of garlic, peeled & minced
1/4-1/2 pound ground meat (beef, pork, chicken, or turkey)
Vegetable oil
Water
Wok or large skillet with a cover
White, brown, or Jasmine rice for serving

Preparation:

Slice eggplant, unpeeled, into approximately 1-1/2” thick slices, then cut the slices into quarters. Make 2 cuts not quite all the way through on each quarter. This will allow the eggplant pieces to cook quickly & evenly, as well as help them to absorb more of the sauce.

Drain the soaked fermented black beans & mash with the minced garlic to a rough paste. Add the chili paste, sugar, soy sauce, & ¼ cup cold water. Stir.

Cooking Procedure:

Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a wok or large skillet until hot, but not smoking. Add ground meat & stir fry for about 2 minutes. Add minced ginger & continue stir frying for another minute. Add eggplant pieces & continue stir frying for another 5 minutes. Add in the sauce mixture & stir thoroughly until well mixed. Sprinkle 3-4 tablespoons of water over all, turn the heat down to low/medium low, cover, & allow to cook for another 5 minutes or until the eggplant pieces are tender to your preference. Serve hot over rice.

all these recipes sound great!! but some have meat in them and the recipe request was "MUST" be vegetarian. but we others can benefit from the meat recipes nonetheless and thank you.

As I CLEARLY stated, my recipe is EASILY converted to total vegetarian. Just leave out the small portion of meat (1/4-1/2 pound) entirely, or replace it with a square of cubed tofu.

As I CLEARLY stated, my recipe is EASILY converted to total vegetarian. Just leave out the small portion of meat (1/4-1/2 pound) entirely, or replace it with a square of cubed tofu.
yes but it sounds so much better the original way. LOL but i wasn't singling anyones recipes out. also unfortunately i think some vegetarians see meat and don't look any further.

Back
Top Bottom