Favorite way for tasty fresh veggies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had the whole new world opened, but sometimes I simply steam my veggies. I love the taste of steamed asparagus with nothing on it, not even a pinch of salt or melted butter. Green beans I need a little something, but not asparagus.

For green beans I need those little skinny ones cooked with bacon & onion, in chicken broth. ;):yum:

Kayelle, you stirred my attention. While I was out getting my two gas bottles filled, I stopped to look at veggie baskets for my grill. I'll have to plan a roasted veggie dish or two.

Kayelle, you stirred my attention. While I was out getting my two gas bottles filled, I stopped to look at veggie baskets for my grill. I'll have to plan a roasted veggie dish or two.

Woo Hoo Andy. You'll be glad to have one. I hope it's nice and sturdy like the one in my picture. I've used it for over 10 years and it's still going strong.

Yup, this is without a doubt the best way with asparagus! Those cold leftovers are wonderful on top of a dinner green salad the next day if they don't all disappear before then.

I also did some pickled asparagus a while back.

Save a few of those leftover stalks for this!

I'll have a couple slices of bacon on mine please! :pig:

Closet Cooking: Asparagus Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Woo Hoo Andy. You'll be glad to have one. I hope it's nice and sturdy like the one in my picture. I've used it for over 10 years and it's still going strong.

Weber makes a stainless steel one for $20. I need to shop some more.

I hope it's a nice sturdy one like in MY picture :LOL:
I decided on mine because it is mesh and not perforated, so more veggie is exposed. And because of the handle. It makes it nice for flipping and shaking the veggies when the marinade drips onto the flames ;)

The thing I don't like about grill baskets is the lack of contact with the grates. The basket never allows grill marks. For vegis like asparagus I prefer making "rafts" using skewers. You can use this method for sliced summer squash and eggplant etc. For vegis like onions and fennel, I like to slice them while whole and use tooth pics to hold the sections together.

I decided on mine because it is mesh and not perforated, so more veggie is exposed. And because of the handle. It makes it nice for flipping and shaking the veggies when the marinade drips onto the flames ;)

I saw mesh ones at the store also and thought that would be better. It was a three-pack of different shapes.

This is mine.......Grilled Marinated Veggies.

I could eat them every day, and they are wonderful cold with your lunch.

You'll need a large sturdy grilling basket. You can find them at any home goods store like Target, etc. They are wonderful, so get one.

That's exactly what I do.

Attachments

• P1050979.jpg
    P1050979.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 182
I use both the mesh and perforated baskets. They both work well for me. I like the long handle on the mesh though, makes shaking the basket easier.

As for grill marks, I do larger slices of vegis (less tedious) directly on the grate. And I do like grill marks. :)

Last edited:
I've had the whole new world opened, but sometimes I simply steam my veggies. I love the taste of steamed asparagus with nothing on it, not even a pinch of salt or melted butter. Green beans I need a little something, but not asparagus.
My favourite way to eat broccoli is lightly steamed. That's it; that's all. No butter or anything. :yum:

I do a lot of cooking on my gas grill with the lid closed. Seems like a long handled basket would get in the way of that.

Broccoli is another one, CW.

You're right, Andy. The long handle does get in the way. You either have to spin it so it is over your other food and within the grill, in which case you will need to use an oven mitt like the other basket... or lower the lid on it. In that case the lid does not completely close and the basket lifts somewhat as it tilts. I haven't found either to be a problem, but I did come close to cutting a notch in my other grill that I had.

One veggie I want to try Soon is grilled baby tomatoes. Toss in a little oil and into the grill basket and roll ' em around until they start to caramelize and get blisters. Remove before they pop so the juices don't escape.

Never noticed until now how un-sturdy yours looks Pac...:-p:LOL:

I wish they (whoever "they" are) would make a grill basket with an attachable/ removable Sturdy Handle. Insert, give it a Twist and Go.

Not because of any special reason. My oven mitts get singe marks which is not the same as Grill Marks even though they appear similar. :LOL:

My first grill "basket" was more like a cookie sheet, flat, perforated holes about the size of paper punch holes, with one ridge on the side for grabbing I guess. Maybe 10 X 12 inches. Cute as a button and it fit on the grill fine. Well I knew to be careful about round things rolling off, but who knew cut veggies suddenly found themselves related to jumping beans. The current pan I use is more Wok shaped, perforated holes. I think I would like something with a little flatter bottom that allows a wider heat dispersion and gives more direct and even heat contact. Maybe I need to allow the pan to pre-heat more before adding the veggies. That would be too easy.

I wish "they" would make a removeable handle, also, Whiska. They do on other things. That would be too perfect.

Speaking "they" (whoever "they" are), when I was involved in dog rescue, in the early days we could only help the next dog using the donation received from the last dog. We had all the dogs vetted and, even with a generous discount, this usually was about $400. I remember speaking with one applicant who wanted to adopt a Newfoundland about the adoption donation and what it covered and how much it was. Her response was, "oh, I thought they paid for that." I always wondered who she thought "they" were? That particular dog involved a roundtrip to Montreal (on a very hot and humid day in July), treatment for a bladder infection, complications following her spay, and a few other things. I was out-of-pocket about $200 on top of the money we had available for her. I realized that I was "they." Needless to say, she didn't get approved to adopt the dog...

Steamed broc is great with either nutritional yeast sprinkled on top OR a drizzle of umeboshi vinegar. I love umeboshi vinegar...

Back
Top Bottom