Favorite way for tasty fresh veggies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
This is mine.......Grilled Marinated Veggies.

I could eat them every day, and they are wonderful cold with your lunch.

You'll need a large sturdy grilling basket. You can find them at any home goods store like Target, etc. They are wonderful, so get one.

In a large zip lock bag mix up equal parts of olive oil and white balsamic vinegar. The dark balsamic will work, but it colors the veggies.
Add seasonings of your choice, and be generous.
I like:
salt
garlic powder
smoked paprika
mixed Italian seasonings
You can use anything you like.

Mix the contents in the bag and add your cut up veggies.
I like:
thick sliced zuccini
white onion wedges, broken apart
chunks of bell pepper (tri colored are great)
portabella mushrooms cut in wedges (any mushrooms are good)
asparagus stalks cut in half (in season right now)

Add all the veggies to the bag and seal. Shake them up good and marinate for at least two hours.

Preheat your grilling basket on the grill, then dump the whole bag into the basket. You need to toss everything occasionally, and I use a loose sheet of foil over them between tossing. Cook till everything is crisp tender with some hints of char.

Maybe everyone knows how to do this, but then again, maybe not.

What's your secret for delectable flavorful fresh vegetables?

Yum...that sounds good. Reminds me that I need to find a new (3rd) grill basket. I have a basket and a sort of fry pan thing and don't like either. I like to halve small zucchinis lengthwise, brush with olive oil sprinkle with some sort of seasoning and grill them.

These are non-recipes...toss in what sounds good.

When the garden is coming on strong, we like to saute onion,and lots of garlic. Add whatever's fresh, cut to bite size....broccoli, peppers, summer squash, eggplant and/or green beans, and enough diced tomatoes to make a bit of sauce. Fresh basil at the end if I have it.

I make this a lot when corn and zucchini are on. A fast and easy side for grilled meat or chicken...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mexican Zucchini

Recipe By : Lynn L
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :10:00
Categories : Vegies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
chopped onions
minced garlic
sliced zucchini
chopped green chiles
canned tomatoes -- drained -OR- fresh tomatoes and salsa
corn
shredded cheddar cheese

This is a "to taste" recipe - the proportions aren't important. Cook vegies until the zucchini is crisp-tender. Top with cheese and heat until cheese melts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now I'm really looking forward to fresh vegies. So far I have chives.

For a marinade I like:
1/2c red wine vinegar
1/3c EVOO
1Tbs Thai red chili paste
1/2Tbs sugar
1 lemon juice and zest
3 chopped cloves garlic
Marinate 3-4 hours

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 341
I thread my veggies on a shishkabob skewer and grill them. :) If it's something long like asparagus or zucchini, I just lay them right on the grill, halving the zucchini lengthwise first.

As far as marinades, I do pretty much the same as mentioned - a mix of oil and some kind of vinegar or lemon juice together with some garlic, and whatever herbs and spices sound good at the time. Or a bottled teriyaki, I love that. I can see where a grill basket would come in handy,
but I keep forgetting about buying one and just use the skewers. This pic has meat, but it works for me just using veggies since that's the topic. :LOL: I've also skewered cauliflower, broccoli, just about any veggie.

Whatever method, I agree that it must have those little charred bits. :yum:

img_1360867_0_30d7dfe867a12a1d82fa3ba13e305e15.jpg

This week Vidalia Onions are on sale for $.39 a pound and the broccoli florettes are also on sale. It seems like my supermarket is putting their produce section on sale. So I know where a lot of my food money will be going on my next shopping trip. I love yellow squash. I like to take a couple of them, slice them into thick slices and sauté with salt and pepper in butter.

I like mine steamed with salted water using sea salt and plenty of butter. I have recently found that if I put enough of the pepper in the water also, it imparts the flavor without the grains. The grains raise holy hell with my internal system. And I do so love pepper. I don't like my veggies all gussied up. I want a carrot to taste like a carrot. :angel:

Great thread!

Like PF, I'm still experimenting with oven roasting fresh vegetables. I need to try the marinade using some acid and a source of heat/spice!

I have been trying to work more vegetables into my breakfast routine and this might be a nice way to add a little variety. I look for things I can make ahead and quickly reheat or add to a simple jumbot/omelet. I'm trying to cut down on the B-A-C-O-N ! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Great thread!

Like PF, I'm still experimenting with oven roasting fresh vegetables. I need to try the marinade using some acid and a source of heat/spice!

I have been trying to work more vegetables into my breakfast routine and this might be a nice way to add a little variety. I look for things I can make ahead and quickly reheat or add to a simple jumbot/omelet. I'm trying to cut down on the B-A-C-O-N ! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Steam some veggies and keep them in a covered bowl. Then when you make that omelet, toss in a handful. You will feel a lot fuller than if you had that b-a-c-o-n.
:angel:

I wouldn't know which way to be an absolute favorite.

Grilled can be seasoned in many ways to use straight up, for salsa or sauce, to put in fajitas etc. They can be blanched for many uses. I'm having a brain overload trying to come up with a single favorite!:ohmy:

Steam some veggies and keep them in a covered bowl. Then when you make that omelet, toss in a handful. You will feel a lot fuller than if you had that b-a-c-o-n.
:angel:

Addie,

That is pretty much what I've been doing. I use one of these contraptions, it works great!
14592137.jpg

I lightly steam a pound of vegetables every couple of days and use them in various concoctions. I've been trying to work in a cup of the "powerhouse vegetables" every morning, my current favorite is steamed kale with onions, garlic and a mushroom or two tossed in. I used to think fresh vegetables were expensive, nowadays after a brisk walk along the meat counter they seem like a real bargain! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Given the amount of veggies I eat, I can't say I have a favorite. However, I do like fresh green beans steamed and then tossed with some EVOO and turmeric or curry powder. I also think I prefer raw veggies or just blanched, so am not that adventuresome when it comes to marinating before cooking. I dress my veggies when I'm ready to eat them.

Given the amount of veggies I eat, I can't say I have a favorite. However, I do like fresh green beans steamed and then tossed with some EVOO and turmeric or curry powder. I also think I prefer raw veggies or just blanched, so am not that adventuresome when it comes to marinating before cooking. I dress my veggies when I'm ready to eat them.

Rather than just toss, I saute in EVOO with some herbs de provence and most times slivered almonds. And I shock them (green beans or broccoli) after steaming so they maintain their color.

Rather than just toss, I saute in EVOO with some herbs de provence and most times slivered almonds. And I shock them (green beans or broccoli) after steaming so they maintain their color.
I forgot to mention the shocking. I also shock fresh peas (shelled) and asparagus for the same reason.

What do you guys mean by shocking the vegis?

When I want my vegis to maintain their bright colour, I parblanch and then plunge them into ice water, before I cook them.

What do you guys mean by shocking the vegis?

When I want my vegis to maintain their bright colour, I parblanch and then plunge them into ice water, before I cook them.

The ice water plunge is the "shocK".

That's what I figured, but if vegis are shocked after steaming, aren't they cold?

Absolutely. If I make a cold pasta salad, I like to do the vegis like this. Also, I use this method to prep green vegis before freezing. I make a green bean dish where I use blanched and shocked beans, stewed tomatoes and sweet onions.

Back
Top Bottom