Foolproof Potatoes Au Gratin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I made potatoes au gratin with kielbasa a couple of days ago which I’ll definitely make again:

4 Klondike Rose potatoes sliced ¼” thick
1 onion, sliced into half moons
4 large garlic cloves smashed and minced
3 springs fresh rosemary

Boil in salted water until potatoes are done and onion is translucent. Drain and remove rosemary stems.

You will also need:
1/3# sliced, fried kielbasa
2/3 C shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Layer half of potato/onion mixture in bottom of casserole.

Add a layer of shredded cheddar cheese.

Add a layer of kielbasa, sliced thin and fried lightly, about 1/3#

Add last half of potato/onion mixture

Top with another layer of shredded cheddar.

Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 20 minutes, uncover and bake another 10 minutes.

Using red potatoes helps because they hold their shape when boiled.:chef:

Last edited:
You're welcome. I love it that it's always cooked through and with the red potatoes, they are already cooked but don't get soggy.

I should have said that, but wasn't thinking. No more room for anything else in my freezer right now.:LOL:

I'm making pulled pork today and tossing the veg scraps in another pot for stock...it seems I never give up.:ROFLMAO:

I was lucky and got some Vidalias...don't want to waste any part of them.

One of the best and easiest gratins of potatoes is Jeffrey Steingarten's short cut recipe for Potato Dauphinoise. I don't have the recipe at hand, but you can easily find it through Google. A Le Creuset cast iron gratin dish also helps turn this dish out perfectly every time! (I use the smaller one.)

I made this again today using a handful of fresh thyme clippings, and browned ground sausage.

I boiled the sliced potatoes and onions with the thyme and salted the water with beef bullion.

It was excellent too. Plus, I have the flavored potato water to make soup with tomorrow.:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom