Freezing Onions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't actually buy them. I was just wondering if that would be a reasonable way to have fresh herbs available for a one or two person household without waste or the need to freeze them.

I didn't actually buy them. I was just wondering if that would be a reasonable way to have fresh herbs available for a one or two person household without waste or the need to freeze them.

Planting your own would be a good way. I was just mentioning the rest since I started with a few "little pots" and I now have over 200 herb plants!

I live in a condominium development where gardening space is very limited. The few times we have tried to plant vegetables and herbs, animals in the area ate them all before they were ready for us. We gave up.

I have always been into growing herbs, for some reason, and always have more than I can use. I no longer have a large freezer, but, even so, I make various sorts of "pesto", just blended herbs, oils, nuts, garlic, etc. If you use enough oil, you can store them in a baggie, then break up however much you wish. I've had no success whatsoever with drying herbs (we're lucky we haven't had a fire), so I try to use them when I've got them. Thank heaven sage and thyme last well into fall/winter, when I most want them for holiday meals!

AeroGarden??

That's it! Thank you.
Something self sustaining like an Aerogarden would be nice, but last time I researched one the feelings were mixed. I wouldn't want anything outside. Something inside that has its own lights would be nice.

Know any good affordable brands?

I have a Nesco and just love it. Got it at Sears, and bought several trays. Do all kinds of stuff with it.....my own "sun dried tomatoes" dried mushrooms, etc...

Instead of buying an Aerogarden, why not buy a florescent fixture and a pot to fit underneath--would't have quite the same cachet but it would be way cheaper and work just as well. Or buy a bookcase, hang the lights under the top shelf, put the pots underneath the light.

Aerogarden seeds come in special containers, which also carry an incredible price--by the time you buy those, you could buy lots and lots of fresh herbs from the store.

I have more onions than I can reasonably use before they start to spoil Can I chop/slice them and then freeze them? I think so, but wonder if any of you have done this before.

Lyndalou

Before we started our business I used to work at a large hotel/conference center. We bought onions, frozen, by the case. There was alot of large quanity cooking there. They came packed 6/3 Lb. bags per case.

Snip 13 said:
Soon all of DC will have herb ice cubes in their freezers..lol!
Store bought herbs don't last me long, that's why I plant my own. My herb garden is as much a pharmacy as it is a garden :) Love herbs!
Talking about which, I'm going to go make some fresh peppermint tea! I ate too much :(

I've always had a veritable plethora of basil, and have frozen it in ice cube trays with a bit of water for many years. So easy to plop a cube or two into soup or stew. I keep finding rogue basil cubes in the freezer. At least, I think it's basil...

It seems to work well enough for my parents. My dad has chives, a couple different types of basil, thyme and I think a couple others as part of his houseplant collection.

Instead of buying an Aerogarden, why not buy a florescent fixture and a pot to fit underneath--would't have quite the same cachet but it would be way cheaper and work just as well. Or buy a bookcase, hang the lights under the top shelf, put the pots underneath the light.

Aerogarden seeds come in special containers, which also carry an incredible price--by the time you buy those, you could buy lots and lots of fresh herbs from the store.

Hmmm, this merits some thought. Thanks for the idea.

pacanis said:
Hmmm, this merits some thought. Thanks for the idea.

I grew all my plants from seed under growlights for years in the basement, along with orchids and African violets. Any type of shelving would work. Get a cheap growlight or any type of fluorescent tube light, make a small rack from scrap lumber, and attach the light. Should be just a few inches above whatever plants you are trying to grow. I built mine so I could raise the lights on chains as the plants grew.

Last edited:
I buy chopped onions, from Gil's Onions right down the street, in a 2 pound bag, break it down into 1/2 cup servings in sandwich bags, toss all the sandwich bags into a zippered freezer bag, and store it in the freezer. If the recipe calls for a small or medium onion, I thaw out one bag; for a large onion I thaw two. All Gil's onions are grown locally so they're always fresh.

I'm just talking about little pots of dirt with small plants in them. Nothing fancy. Small investment.

I know we've discussed this before...basement apartment, two cats I love and they love to eat plants. I really have no place to plant anything. My patio set, cheap, but it was mine...holes burned into the cushions because the neighbors flicked lit cigarettes on them.:mad:

I have always been into growing herbs, for some reason, and always have more than I can use. I no longer have a large freezer, but, even so, I make various sorts of "pesto", just blended herbs, oils, nuts, garlic, etc. If you use enough oil, you can store them in a baggie, then break up however much you wish. I've had no success whatsoever with drying herbs (we're lucky we haven't had a fire), so I try to use them when I've got them. Thank heaven sage and thyme last well into fall/winter, when I most want them for holiday meals!

Maybe you can try the book I mentioned (Mageret Roberts- A-Z of herbs) lots of ways to use excess herbs and much more!

I bought vidalias for several years, direct from a Georgia grower and he gave me several tips for storing onions that didn't involve freezing. If you wrap onions individually in newspaper and keep them in the fridge, they'll keep for approx 6 months or more.
If you want to freeze them, the following link will give you some good tips.
http://cookingtips.cookingcache.com/general-cooking-tips/storing-onions.html

I just chop fresh onions in the food processor, put them in little zippies, and toss in a tsp or so of olive oil. Been doing this for years. Works for me. I do the same with garlic.

Back
Top Bottom