Fresh Asparagus Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cats

Senior Cook
Asparagus is beginning to come in now at our neck in the woods, so we stopped at a farm stand yesterday and picked up a pound. While we were waiting to pay, the cashier was explaining to another customer that she needed to soak the fresh asparagus for about 10 min. in hot water. This is so that the tip, or bud, of the asparagus would open up a bit and the dirt inside the tip would wash out. Then, just swish around in the water and drain to dry. I had never heard this before. I think the asparagus we buy "fresh" in the grocery stores is already cleaned, so this cleaning would not be necessary. However, if you are getting it directly from the farm, the washing is important. I followed the 10 min. soak directions and was quite surprised at all the dirt in the bottom of the sink. Just thought I would pass this along. Happy Mother's Day to all you Mom's out there.
:)

Thanks cats, I got one batch of asparagus a while back where the tips were a bit gritty when we ate them even though I washed them what I thought was thoroughly, so will definitely try this the next time around.

I'm sorry to say that I don't trust the grocery store produce to be cleaned enough not to do it again when I get home. Not that I am compulsive or anything, but you really don't know who's handled it and how they've handled it at the store or before it got there. It could have dropped on the floor or been handled by any number of dirty hands before you ever see it. I will try the hot water bath to see if it gets the dirt out of the tips better, wherever I may buy it. Thanks for the tip.

BC

I don't think the asparagus is cleaned at the grocery store either. I had never heard of this either and will have to try it - I never even thought about dirt being in there! Thanks for the tip (pun intended).

Just thouight I'd throw this in...my SIL in North Catolina puts black pepper in her cabbage heads when they first come up. She said this keeps the bugs away..she has grown 30 pound cabbages.

I do clean all the produce I purchase at the supermarket. The idea of soaking the fresh asparagus is because it is likely not cleaned much at all at the farm. I'm in complete agreement with the "who knows what" happened to the food prior to buying it at the store. Even the packaged strawberries from the grocery store, which usually look perfectly clean, I will rinse off. Have a good weekend everyone.
:)

I made the big mistake one time of washing my strawberries right when I put them in the fridge. A couple days later when I went to use them they had like disappeared into little shrivels of something red - I will never do that again - and raspberries shouldn't be washed at all. Boy, that's hard to do! lol

This is a great tip and just one more reason I love this site. Thanks for sharing this one Cats! This is one of those things that makes so much sense now that I hear it, but I never would have thought of it on my own.

Hey Dove - I liked the idea you posted here about sprinkling black pepper in the newly started cabbage heads to keep the bugs out. My husband has always refused to grow cabbage because of the bug problem one always hears about and, we only grow organically (using compost for fertilizer - black gold), so he won't use chemicals. We will definitely try your idea, although he thinks it's too late to start cabbage here in DE. Also, I was thinking that this anti-bug pepper idea might work for broccoli as well. Anyone know if it will or have another idea for the broccoli, and/or cauliflower. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom