Fresh Corn on the Grill (or baked)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keltin

Washing Up
I’ve seen several recipes and threads about fresh corn on the grill. When I buy frozen corn and cook it (usually boil it) the corn is tender. The new steam-fresh frozen corn for the microwave is really tender.

But fresh corn is always a bit firm/crunchy no matter how long I boil it. So, I’ve resorted to using a pressure cooker for about an hour that does make it tender.

Anyway, if you grill fresh corn, either in the husk or rolled in aluminum foil with butter, does it get soft, or does it stay a bit firm and crunchy. Personally, I don’t mind crunchy veggies, but my DW doesn’t like them for some reason and prefers the corn to be more tender than crunchy.

I cooked some fresh corn last night, and was going to try the aluminum foil trick, but decided not too since I didn’t know if it would soften up or remain firm. So, for all you that have grilled/baked corn, how is it?

Well, the point of using fresh corn is for that texture, just like how using other fresh vegetables like say, sugar snap peas, will give you a crunchy texture whereas frozen ones will not.

If you have to cook your vegetables so it's a soft texture, you're better off just using the frozen product in many cases because when you cook fresh vegetables to that consistency, it's almost discernible from their frozen counterparts.

Keltin...

Everything IC said! Plus! The operative word is FRESH. Try to buy local product. Fresh corn will cook in a heart beat, and be Crunchy/tender!

Enjoy!!!!!

I always grill the corn in the husk, it is tender, but my tender may not be as tender as you might like. I'd say get couple of ears of corn and throw them on the grill. Cost you a whole dolar or so this time of year.

soft veggies seem to be a southern thing ...
i like my corn with a crunch ...

my husband likes it when I just shuck it, brush with olive oil & season, then put right on the grill until the kernels start to brown. But yes, firm. With few exceptions (old family favorite comfort foods) we like our veggies to retain some crunch and color.

I thought so….well Uncle Bob and Iron Chef, ya’ll are just gonna have to ‘splain that to my DW! She doesn’t care for crunchy veggies. Broccoli, Cabbage, Corn on the Cob, Carrots, potatoes…..well, I agree with the potatoes! :)

As you can imagine, it puts a damper on stir-fry. She also has no tolerance for hot sauce or peppers, so I have to modify my cooking of course. Odd think is, she likes crunchy cole slaw which has carrots and cabbage in it…..go figure.

Oh well, I’ll treat it like hot stuff and just save the corn on the grill for a night when I’m cooking just for myself.

Thanks guys!

I like a crisp texture for grilled corn on the cob, but many friends do not. What I do is, when the (soaked, in husk) corn is ready to my taste, I move some of the ears to the cooler part of the grill for some more steaming. If I don't move them, they become charred (which I also like), but they don't become more tender.

bullseye said:
I like a crisp texture for grilled corn on the cob, but many friends do not. What I do is, when the (soaked, in husk) corn is ready to my taste, I move some of the ears to the cooler part of the grill for some more steaming. If I don't move them, they become charred (which I also like), but they don't become more tender.

Hmmmm…..I might have to try that. When we have friends over that like their steaks well done, and we like medium rare, I just start theirs first and add mine later. Works out well. I could always pull my corn off first when it as just done and crunchy, and leave hers on the grill longer…..or perhaps wrap hers in foil and “start it” cooking in the toaster oven before adding it to the grill so hers cooks longer (oven + grill time), but all food comes off the grill at the same time.

Or I just give her store bought frozen! :angel:

Oh, and about your sig………..if the early bird gets the worm…..what does the early worm get??????? :LOL:

I have to agree about liking crisp texture in veggies... and I'm a southerner!!! LOL... I prepare mine much like Claire... I put bare corn ears (seasoned with butter, salt, pepper, and a few other herbs) on the grill and char them. I love the smokey/charred taste it develops and it goes well with a nice grilled steak. I have tried boiled corn and just can't seem to appreciate that mushy texture it seems to have to me. But that is me, so don't mistake me for hatin on those that like it that way!

Cheers!

keltin said:
Or I just give her store bought frozen! :angel:

That's actually could be a funny idea.

This is off topic somewhat, but what you said reminds me of something I did several years ago when one of my exs and I were throwing a BBQ at her house. Some of the friends had all these requests before hand, since my ex had the brilliant idea of asking them if they had any preferences (i.e. some wanted their meat well done, some wanted their food not spicy, etc., etc.). I got so irritated that this is what I did. For those that said they couldn't eat spicy food (one of the dishes was grilled shrimp in a thai marinade), I made some plain shrimp. No salt, no seasoning, nothing. And I overcooked them. For those that said they wanted their meat well done, I bought some cheap select sirloin, then cooked the **** out it. The other meat was choice NY strips which I made all medium rare. Then, the funny thing is that many of those people had no problems eating the spicier shrimp and less cooked NY steaks later on. Well, I found it funny but I'm sadistic like that so...:devilish:

keltin said:
Oh, and about your sig………..if the early bird gets the worm…..what does the early worm get??????? :LOL:

The early worm gets to be breakfast! :eek:

I have tried a new way for us with sweet corn. When we are only having one ear each, I pull off some of the dark leaves and put in microwave for 5 mins. We love it ! so easy to peel after - silk and all !

Keltin - you could try this for your wife !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom