"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2020, 07:42 AM   #1
Cook

Fried Carrot Peels

‘In the kitchen you don’t throw anything away‘, this is the wise motto to avoid food waste, but also a way to find out that from a simple carrot peel, you can get a crispy snack as well as an enjoyable starter. We have fried them, but you can also oven-bake them. Since they are carrots, their taste will be slighlty sweet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doses depend on the amount of carrots you have peeled, Cooking time 5-8 mins

Extra Virgin Olive Oil – EVOO or Peanut Oil, about 3 tbsp
Salt, a pinch

Method

Rinse the peels and then dry them well.

Tip: you don’t need a deep-frying, just enough oil to fry them all evenly.

Heat the oil in a frying pan, as soon as it makes little bubbles, add carrot peels and fry them until golden brown.

Remove them from the pan and put them on a plate lined with kitchen paper to remove excess oil – if necessary, change the kitchen paper if the previous one is too much oiled – add a pinch of salt and black pepper, stir and let them flavour, serve hot.

Tip: have fun as you like with condiments: add grated cheese or aromatic herbs or why not chilli pepper flakes?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fried carrot skins.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	42679  
MyPinchofItaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Interesting way to use them. In our house, we don't peel carrots. In fact, there are very few vegetables that we peel (squash comes to mind).
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:50 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
Interesting way to use them. In our house, we don't peel carrots. In fact, there are very few vegetables that we peel (squash comes to mind).
For the most part, we only peel the disreputable looking ones.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:12 AM   #4
Executive Chef

This sounds great! I peel my carrots, I don't like the bitter taste they often have, especially older ones. New carrots I just scrub.

Usually my peels go to the chickens or geese but I'll save some for me next time!

As always, thanks Pinchof!
Old 09-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #5
Master Chef

Hmmm... I may be depriving the compost bin of carrot peelings in the near future.

Tags
carrot, carrot peels, carrots, frying pan, recipe

Fried Carrot Peels ‘In the kitchen you don’t throw anything away‘, this is the wise motto to avoid food waste, but also a way to find out that from a simple carrot peel, you can get a crispy snack as well as an enjoyable starter. We have fried them, but you can also oven-bake them. Since they are carrots, their taste will be slighlty sweet. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Doses depend on the amount of carrots you have peeled, Cooking time 5-8 mins Extra Virgin Olive Oil – EVOO or Peanut Oil, about 3 tbsp Salt, a pinch Method Rinse the peels and then dry them well. [B]Tip[/B]: you don’t need a deep-frying, just enough oil to fry them all evenly. Heat the oil in a frying pan, as soon as it makes little bubbles, add carrot peels and fry them until golden brown. Remove them from the pan and put them on a plate lined with kitchen paper to remove excess oil – if necessary, change the kitchen paper if the previous one is too much oiled – add a pinch of salt and black pepper, stir and let them flavour, serve hot. [B]Tip[/B]: have fun as you like with condiments: add grated cheese or aromatic herbs or why not chilli pepper flakes? 3 stars 1 reviews