Fried green tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menumaker

Sous Chef
One of my favorite films, it never loses it's appeal. If you have never seen it then please do. My question however is this. as I am now reaching the stage when the tomatoes are reaching the end (and what a wonderful crop we have had this year ) how can I use the green ones? NO chutney or pickle recipes please, of those I have plenty! I would welcome your recipes / ideas.
Thanks ;)

My SO loves these and so do the people she gives them to. I've included two sets of ingredient quantities for different-sized pans.

Green Tomato Oatmeal Bars

13”x9” pan:
4 C Green Tomato, finely chopped
2 C Brown Sugar, divided
2 Tb Lemon Juice
1 tsp Lemon Extract
¾ C Butter, softened (1½ sticks)
1½ C Flour
½ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Salt
2 C Oats
½ C Walnuts, chopped

Preheat the oven to 375º F.

Drain the tomatoes on paper towels for 10 minutes.

In a saucepan, combine the tomatoes with half the brown sugar and all the lemon juice. Simmer uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until thickened.

Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon extract and set aside.

Cream the butter and the remaining brown sugar with an electric mixer.

Separately sift the flour, baking soda and salt together and add it to the butter/sugar mixture. Mix well.

Stir in the oats and nuts.

Press 2½ cups of the oat mixture into a greased a 13”x9” pan (1¼ C for 8x8).

Spread the tomato mixture on top.

Crumble the remaining oat mixture on top of the tomato mixture.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and cut into squares.

8”x8” pan:

2 C Green Tomato, finely chopped
1 C Brown sugar, divided
1 Tb Lemon Juice
[FONT=PC&#47749]½[/FONT] tsp Lemon Extract
6 Tb Butter, softened
[FONT=PC&#47749]¾ [/FONT]C Flour
¼ tsp Baking Soda
¼ tsp Salt
1 C Oats
¼ C Walnuts, chopped

Green tomatoes are great for pickling. Could not have survive the winter without pickled tomatoes. I have the recipe if you care. Actually it's been posted here before, so you probably can find it if you search.

My wife and I make a lo-calorie/lo-fat twist on fried green tomatoes: broil them! Thin-slice the tomatoes, spray both sides of the tomatoes liberally with your choice of cooking spray, (we use our own olive oil pump sprayer) dredge through corn meal with a little parmesan cheese mixed in and place on a cookie sheet which goes into the oven right under the broiler. When the tomatoes begin to bubble and scorch slightly, flip them over and repeat. Remove and add a little S & P. This works great and is less messy or oily.

Fried is good, yes? Also, thank you for the other suggestions. You are a clever lot aren't you? You never disappoint xx

Fried is excellent! A restaurant near us used to serve them in a stack alternating with goat cheese rounds and drizzled with a balsamic reduction. Oh, so good! :yum:

Fried is excellent! A restaurant near us used to serve them in a stack alternating with goat cheese rounds and drizzled with a balsamic reduction. Oh, so good! :yum:
Seeing as how tomato season sort of skipped us, I am looking at a lot of green tomatoes. This sounds excellent, as does the soup. And, I "fry" eggplant in the oven, so will take the broiled tomato technique, might make a reduction using one of my homemade vinegars...the raspberry is to die for...More recipes using green tomatoes?

Fried Green tomatoes are on of the food groups in Georgia. I also bake them occassionaly, but they are not the same. Cut them up, into a zip lock bag with cornmeal and into a cast iron skillet with Veggie oil. Drain and servie with a spicy sauce. The one I make is mayo, creole mustard, garlic powder, paprika, worcestershire and the special ingredient is wasabi paste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom