Frying flowers, squash- questions questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
OK, so if I want to cook some squash flowers, I pluck the male ones as they are in excess and therefore expendable. ..(hmmm - is that true in real life? :rolleyes:)

Got that part but just exactly when do you pick them? Ready to open, just opened, full opened?

Remove the stamen, read that. Stuff with a cream cheese concoction, press closed. (and check for creepy crawlies - saw lots when pollinating!)

Batter - which one - a tempura one? Sounds like the best one to me, but is there a more appropriate one?

Cook - assume deep frying must be done so they are fully submerged?

Serving - a condiment to go with? or not.

Accompaniements - (is that a word?) Is it the star of the show? A starter? A sidedish? - what else would you serve them with?

All ideas, suggestions and hints welcomed!

and are some squash flowers better than others?

Glad to see you got some of these, dragon!

I pick the ones that are almost ready to open - full sized, and getting orange - and the ones just opened, but not the ones that have probably opened several times, or the real small ones. I leave about an inch of the stem on - good to pick up with, when fried, but I trim that off, when using in a soup, taco, or other dish.

I've tried different types of stuffings, but I think my favorite was one with spinach and ricotta (what a lot were based on, back when I tried a bunch of them), with a small piece of gorgonzola I added in the center.

I usually fry these in a Dutch oven, but with the oil only deep enough to cover, about 1¼-1½". Deep frying, but not real deep. There was a dip sauce I made - I'll look for it. I'm sure it was in one of my old Italian CBs.

I have had them both stuffed, and without fillings. Without fillings, the are dredged in egg wash, then either AP flour, corn starch, or a half and half mixture of the two. Te.pura batter also works. They are then pan fried in a couple inches of hot oil, flipping once to brown both sides. The have a somewhat meaty, umami flavor, and are tasty.

Fillings can range from cream cheese with herbs, ground meat of choice, (including force meats such as a mix with bread crumbs and eggs), thick chili, sausage, Asian inspied fillings, even diced fruits. Use your imagination. Serve with, or without an a companying sauce.

The blossoms are very versatile. For me, simply coated with flour, fried, and served with a little Tabasco, and seasoned with salt is good enough.

Just thinking, thin-sliced, rare sirloin, with aged ghouda would be a good filling.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom