Garlic Powder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SurvivorGirl

Sous Chef
How do ya feel about it?

I have never bought, but recrently seen it in some recipes and been wondering if i should? I always thought that it looks far to artifcial for my likings and that fresh is the only way to go.
Should I change my thinkings on this?:chef:

It is great stuff. Try some sprinkled in a grilled cheese sandwich as as part of a dry rub for meats. I would never be without it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, particularly Lawry's. It's premier in my book.

Having said this, Buck and I use about a head of garlic or more per week, but there are some recipes that benefit from garlic salt/powder. It's a staple on our spice shelf, so much so that the label is completely rubbed off from use over the years. Of course, the bottle is over 30-years-old. Not the stuff inside, though. That turns over quite quickly.

IMO it's a staple for cooking.

GB and Katie E (they sorta rhyme!)

Both of your posts surprised me!! I was sure that people would came and rag on it! and here you are calling it a staple!!:huh:
very interesting! This having me wonder what I'm missing out on!:chef:

Garlic powder is dried, ground garlic. Nothing artificial.

Garlic salt is a mix of garlic powder and salt.

As Katie and GB said, garlic powder is vital in dry rubs and for seasoning all kinds of dishes.

:) You want to have it on hand because you wont always have fresh garlic on hand also its good in soups and sauces and for a dry rub on meats.

SurvivorGirl said:
GB and Katie E (they sorta rhyme!)

Both of your posts surprised me!! I was sure that people would came and rag on it! and here you are calling it a staple!!:huh:
very interesting! This having me wonder what I'm missing out on!:chef:
Missing out is right. Also, try onion powder as well. Try sprinkling both on your next slice of pizza.

GB, I forgot about onion powder. It's nice stirred into sour cream when spooned on top of baked potatoes. Nice hint of onion when chive aren't available.

Yep, we always have onion powder, too. Thanks for bringing it up.

I just ordered a pound of onion powder today too. The people at Penzys can retire after the order I placed today ;)

:) I also like dried minced garlic or onions great in a pinch when making soups or stews or hydrated on bagels before baking

I prefer granulated garlic rather than garlic powder. It just seems to be more substantial.

They have been in my kitchen for 52 years..not the same jar..LOL My folks always used the powders too.
Marge

I used the minced garlic - the kind you put in the refrigerator. I buy a big jar of it. My brother who is somewhat of a chef himself claims the garlic in the jars are just as good as the garlic cloves and that feeling like you always have to buy garlic cloves is just hogwash. I do buy the garlic cloves sometime though, depending on what I'm making. I had garlic powder as well in the cabinet, but I"m not sure if I have any now. I'll have to check now "lol". The bottom of one of my cabinets is all for spices.

As mentioned earlier, garlic powder is great sprinkled on a slice of cheese pizza. I will also roast some potatoes with barbecue sauce, then sprinkle some garlic powder on them at the end. Cut italian bread thin, a little butter + garlic salt, bake low heat until crisp makes a quick garlic toast or crouton snack. On french fries. Garlic powder is in no way a substitution for fresh garlic, but it definately has its place in the kitchen ( in my opinion)

oh my yes, I keep garlic powder, in the freezer. Buy it by the pound from Penzey's. I raise garlic and sell garlic. But I also keep garlic and onion powder in the freezer, double bagged.

It is only dried ground garlic. Can't be without garlic.

Back
Top Bottom