Ground cherries in savoury dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I just bought some ground cherries. I like the fact that they are indigenous to Quebec, which is where I live. I tried one. It has a very interesting and unique flavour. My sweetie tried one and says he thinks they are a bit odd, but a few would be good in some sort of savoury dish.

Any suggestions? I think they might go well with pork.

LOL, I have never cooked with them myself, but a acquaintance from PA told me she had tons of them in one of her paddocks. She blocked off the horses so she could gather them. I know she cooked them but in what?.. don't know.

There are some recipes out there, just google them.

I've grown them and snacked on them, but never cooked with them.
They taste like a sweet tomatillo ( same consistency).
Wouldn't say I love them, but they are addicting and a good garden snack.

They self seed themselves and one plant soon becomes a dozen plants scattered everywhere.

Ive heard of people making jams with them.

I can definitely see them being used as a sweet/ savory component in cooking, but never used them that way.

I've never used them, but I found this article that has some good ideas.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/five-ways-to-eat-ground-cherries-98470003/

Thank you for that link, some cool ideas. And that description was pretty good, though there was something more, that I can't put my finger on.
What tastes like a cherry tomato injected with mango and pineapple juice, and looks like an orange pearl encased in a miniature paper lantern?

I love the idea of a ground cherry / husk cherry salsa. Unfortunately the link in the article didn't work, but I could use my tomatillo salsa recipe. I might even try making some that has both tomatillos and ground cherries.

I already thought of adding them to a salad, but DH didn't think that would work. Maybe I'll try a little bit in a small portion of a salad. I like the idea of using goat cheese with them.

LOL, I have never cooked with them myself, but a acquaintance from PA told me she had tons of them in one of her paddocks. She blocked off the horses so she could gather them. I know she cooked them but in what?.. don't know.

There are some recipes out there, just google them.

Where's the fun in that? I want to hear if anyone here has tried them. That makes it easier to judge the info and to ask questions.

I've seen them used as garnishes for savory dishes at restaurants around there. The chef at the local Delta hotel usrd them a lot, also in desserts. I think I've only seen them as garnish, but I could be wrong. Didn't pay much attention.
The local non-chain grocery store has them from time to time, maybe they're locally-grown.
I'd use them wherever you want a pop of sweet/sour/tart flavour. Don't think I'd cook them, but why not!

They're not cherries, they're in the tomato and tomatillo family.
OK!!! They´re what we call "uchuvas" in South America, or physalis.
Completely misunderstood the post, because I understood " Cherries, ground up":ohmy::ohmy: I grow them in my garden at home in Caracas.
They´re great for a salsa - chop them up and add red onion, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice.
They´re great to make jam/marmalade: same amount of sugar to "ground Cherries" - cook for about 20 minutes and bottle.
Use them in salads - work well with mozzarella, goat cheese, soft cheeses like camembert.
And yes - make a sauce with them, for duck breast, chicken, or pork.

I've seen them used as garnishes for savory dishes at restaurants around there. The chef at the local Delta hotel usrd them a lot, also in desserts. I think I've only seen them as garnish, but I could be wrong. Didn't pay much attention.
The local non-chain grocery store has them from time to time, maybe they're locally-grown.
I'd use them wherever you want a pop of sweet/sour/tart flavour. Don't think I'd cook them, but why not!

As a garnish, were they used whole? Or cut in half or in wedges or something else?

I've seen these as a garnish with savory dishes only, or used as one of the ingredients in some gravy. And also as part of a vegetable salad.

As a garnish, were they used whole? Or cut in half or in wedges or something else?

I've seen these used whole, even with the husk still in tact.

Back
Top Bottom