Healthy Vegetable Curry Recipe
This recipe is courtesy of the Ministry of Health, Singapore:
DHAL, BRINJAL & LADY'S FINGER CURRY
50gm (about 2oz) yellow dhal - washed and soaked for 10 mins in 400ml (13.5 fl oz) water
1-1/2 tbsp curry paste
3cm pc of cinnamon)
1 star anise ) spices
1/4 tsp fenugreek )
1 stalk curry leaves
2 fresh red chillies - left whole
2 eggplants - cut into 8 pieces
3 lady's fingers - halved
2 slices fresh ginger - cut in strips
8 shallots - sliced
Juice of 3 small limes
100ml (3 fl oz) skim milk yoghurt
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp oil
1. Heat oil, fry curry paste, spices, ginger, shallots and curry leaves till fragrant.
2. Add water and dhal, simmer for 15 minutes in a covered saucepan.
3. Add eggplants, lady's fingers and yoghurt. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
4. Add in red chillies and lime juice.
5. Mix well and serve hot with plain boiled rice, yellow rice or chapati.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!